Monday, February 22, 2010

What you do Matters ~ What I WANT to do Matters


I have that Monday after a conference, can't seem to get out of bed and get my brain moving, hangover.  If you've read my live blogging, or just noticed the annoying posts, you'll know that I was at Mom 2.0 in Houston.  Two of my readers got so disgusted by the live blogging that they dropped me from their feed readers.  Guess What?  As much as my mouth really wants to apologize for that, I'm not going to.  I actually truly enjoyed live blogging my experience during those sessions and I feel like it was some pretty good information.  Read it or don't.  Unfollow me or don't.  What I do matters.  That is the takeaway and maybe it doesn't matter to you but it does to someone.


Now all I really need to figure out is what it is that I do.
And who does it matter to?


Yes, I'm in one of those introspective, what am I doing with my life, modes. 


What do I do


The most important thing that I do is mother my children.  Now comes the question, how well do I do that?  I'm not asking you to answer that question, I'm just saying it is something I've been thinking about a lot.  Just because I work while my children are away does not necessarily mean that I'm doing the best for them during those hours.  Part of the equation is my sanity and my fulfillment - but if I'm not doing right by my family neither of those things are going to be in balance.

My experiences with Disney and Mom 2.0 over past two weeks have really gotten my juices flowing.  Not just my creative juices, but those annoying head game juices, that start asking you at random times of the day, "So, what are you doing?", "Is this what you want to be doing?", "How does this help you reach your goals?", "What are your goals anyway?".

What am I doing?  I'm not sure I really know anymore.  In my efforts to create a career for myself I have ended up walking into a number of opportunities that I thought were moving me in the right direction.  I'm not so sure anymore.  While I was in Houston, I had to handle emails and phone calls concerning aspects of a particularly challenging project.  As I sat in different sessions, one half of my brain thinking of solutions to my project problems, and one half being thoroughly inspired by the panelists, I began to realize that I'm not doing what it is that I want to do.  I want to be one of those people who knows what my passion is and let's it drive me to this place of great self confidence.  What I do matters, but until it matters to me it doesn't really do anyone a whole lot of good.

How does one get to that place?  What is my passion?

comments

7 Responses to "What you do Matters ~ What I WANT to do Matters"
  1. Unknown said...
    February 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM

    Awesome for being introspective! I think that's the first step. I read a great book recently that talks about getting into your "Zone" - The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks. That might give you some help and direction? Most importantly, be easy on yourself as you're figuring it out. This too, is part of the journey! ;-)

  2. Rachel said...
    February 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM

    You are beyond lovely and wonderful and I enjoyed getting to be around you.
    I think that YOU are what matters. You know your passion, it's what you wake up thinking about.. what gives you the jolt and the thrill and makes you scrabble around for a notepad, laptop, camera....

    MWAH

  3. Carissa said...
    February 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM

    Fiona ~ If you figure that out PLEASE let me know as I am trying to figure out what my passion is and how do I make what my passion is happen...

    Good luck :) I know you will do what you can!

  4. septembermom said...
    February 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM

    I also struggle with wondering what I'm supposed to do. I feel guilt for thinking that I'm trapped here with the kids some days. I know that there are other avenues out there which would work for me hopefully harmoniously with my desire to be a hands on mom. I just don't know where to look. It's frustrating.

  5. Velvet Over Steel said...
    February 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM

    Great job! My passion has always been to help other people. However I have had jobs that either took away from my own special needs son or were too heart breaking for someone who just wanted to take all 'sad and hurting' children home with me. I think I have finally found some ways to help and become my passion at the same time. Thank you for sharing this!!
    Hugs,
    Coreen
    www.velvetoversteel.blogspot.com

  6. ScrappinMichele said...
    February 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM

    What you do matters to me! And I for one am happy you lived blogged because now I have fantastic notes for all the sessions. I feel like I'm cheating off the smart kid's notes. :D

  7. Thad, The Passion Life Coach said...
    February 27, 2010 at 4:19 AM

    Hi Fiona,

    I love the statement "What I do matters." If people don't like you being you, then that's their problem and not yours.

    It's my first time to your site, but it looks like you've got a bunch of people here who love what 'you do'. Which could be as simple as sharing life with another person.

    You sound like someone who enjoys giving and sharing, after all not everyone takes the time to set up a blog and post up deep, insightful content. You've got so much zest and fire in you when you're just being you sharing you life on here, and that is so, so valuable.

    You're obviously on the path that you're on right now because there's certain things that attracted you here in the first place. Things that you enjoy doing, and things that really inspire you. We all get caught up in being the person that we're 'supposed' to be on our journey, and that causes us to lose sight of being true to ourselves somewhat. We go along, never really noticing until one day it hits us, and then it feels like "Oh no! What have I been doing these 12/24/36 months with my life?"

    I encourage you that you DO know what your passion is, to a certain extent. You had a mental picture in your mind as to what the best expression of that was when you made the decisions that you did make all that time ago, and by walking down that path, you got a better idea of who you are as a person and what really connects with you - that confidence sweet spot that powers you up to even greater heights.

    That's all passion is, you knowing you and being you, in a greater and fuller measure than you are right now. You 'find' your passion in the same way that you get to know someone else - you ask them specific, insightful questions and you make educated guesses as to what the answers to those questions mean.

    To get an even better idea of your passion, ask yourself: "What do you really enjoy about what you're doing right now?" "What don't you enjoy?" "What consumes you and makes you forget the time?" Now that you've got a good inventory of what you ARE doing, and the good and the bad of that, it's time to dream a little.

    Imagine your 'ideal' life, one in which you could do anything you want and had all the money you need to life a desirable lifestyle. What next? I know you're not someone who can spend the rest of her life doing absolutely nothing. You'd want to make your mark in the world, but how?

    Once you've asked yourself these deep questions and found your answers, then the game really starts. You'll know the good about what you have right now, and you'll know the bad. You'll know how you want things to be too.

    Maybe it's as simple as making adjustments to what you're already doing, or maybe it's time for a more drastic change. You'll unearth even more questions that need answering, and you'll open yourself to a new experience of this world and ultimately you.

    So the adventure begins...

    Believing In You!

    Warm Regards,
    Thad, http://www.passionlifecoach.com/

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates