Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How does one find their passion, and where does passion hide?


What is your passion?  Someone commented yesterday saying,  "You know your passion, it's what you wake up thinking about.. what gives you the jolt and the thrill and makes you scrabble around for a notepad, laptop, camera....". I totally get that, it makes sense.  Well, it seems like it would make sense except that I don't wake up thinking about anything lately.  My first thought is "ugh".  

I am passionate about things.  I am passionately in love with my husband.  I'm passionate about nearly everything involving my children.  I'm passionate about reading and learning....  I'm passionate about a lot of things, but are those "my passion"?  

When I listen to people who have followed their passion to great success, I am inspired and....  a little envious.  Mostly because their passions seem clearly defined.  What if I never find that thing that lights my fire?  What if my fire is unlight-able?  

I've listened to many wise people speak and have devoured their every word, determined to find myself in "that place" where everything just fits and feels right.  I've been fortunate enough to listen and speak to people like Maxine Clark @chiefexecbear, Chief Executive Bear of Build-a-Bear, Scott Stratten @unmarketing, Stacy Julian @stacyjulian (who is apparently the Tom Cruise of scrap booking!),  and so many other people who really seem to have nailed what makes them tick.  I want that, I desperately want that.  I've spent a lot of time in my life chasing things I thought I wanted.  Passions in disguise... or maybe I've just changed.

If you google "find your passion", pages upon pages of "how to find your passion" articles, blog posts, and videos come up.  I think I will spend some time playing about in this little garden of all-knowing passion finder peoples.  I'll be sure to share what I find, but in the meantime, if any of you have insight into where my passion might be hiding, let me know!

comments

8 Responses to "How does one find their passion, and where does passion hide?"
  1. septembermom said...
    February 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM

    I'm passionate about child advocacy, writing, education and the arts. I don't really have a clue as to how to make these passions into a concrete career or life path right now. I kind of feel like these ideas just float above me and I can't grab them easily.

  2. Unknown said...
    February 23, 2010 at 1:11 PM

    I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to chime in and let you know you're not alone. I haven't felt truly passionate about anything in a long time, and it depresses me when I think that I am just "going through the motions" and not really living my life. Only thing I can think to advise you is to keep trying new things, keep forcing yourself outside your comfort zone, keep searching for that something out there that gives you that extra kick. At the same time, realize that no matter what you find, there will be days when you won't feel like jumping out of bed and attacking the day - and that's OK. Sometimes we have to force ourselves into action in order to develop the passion - "fake it 'till you make it" as some say. One thing is sure - you won't find your passion sitting on the couch all day! Get out there and do something and the positive energy will often follow.

  3. Leslie said...
    February 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM

    Great post that I think a lot of us can relate to!

    We just keep searching...

  4. Knit Purl Gurl said...
    February 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM

    I too, am passionate about things and my hubby and kids.. but a passion? I just don't know if I have one either. I need to think on this. I think women tend to put their "passions" on hold, IMHO.

  5. theothermother said...
    February 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM

    I know my passion. I found it years ago and have never lost it. My greatest worry is what will I do when I can no longer physically do it.

  6. zelzee said...
    February 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

    I think it is always there, right in front of you..........it just takes awhile to recognize it sometimes.

    You'll see........

  7. ScrappinMichele said...
    February 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM

    Yes, @stacyjulian is definitely the Tom Cruise of Scrapbooking. :D

    I'm with you. i'm passionate about a lot of things, but I definitely don't wake up thinking about anything except, "oh NO, it's not 6:30 already, can't we have a snow day?"

    I don't know if I've found my passion yet. All I know is that I love what I'm doing right now and it really doesn't ever feel like work. And I want to keep doing it. So, maybe it is my passion.

    And I see how passionate you are about social media and making connections and engaging people. You are also very passionate about Yoga. I loved listening to you talk about it because I can hear the passion in your voice.

  8. Serendipityissweet said...
    March 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM

    I feel the same way in many respects. Still waiting for the big A-HA! Chasing in many directions and sometimes feel like I'm running in circles getting nowhere.

    I love your take on things...and maybe I should give yoga a shot.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates