Monday, April 6, 2009

Am I A Mommy Blogger? What Is My Niche?


"Welcome to Bloggywood.  What's Yo Nitch?  Everybody got a nitch."

I couldn't resist perverting that line from Pretty Woman, my apologies!

Last night was my first virtual Keep it Real class with the beautiful and classy Jen Hinton from The Classy Closet and what seems to me like a gazillion other places on the web!  She is one energetic, and adorable I might add, girl!  I'm relatively new to blogging and I'm glad I signed up for this because Jen has compiled information that took her six months to learn on her own and is going to share it with us in just about 8 classes.  It isn't too late to join, you can sign up here before the next class on Wednesday night.  For more information visit this page here.  Please be sure to tell you that I referred you.

Last night was an introduction to the month long class and the word NICHE kept pinching me in the gut.  What is my niche?  

Why do I blog?  

Cause I like you?

Cause you like me?

I'd like to recognize my niche because I want to have a successful blog and there is no doubt that a niche is key to achieving that.  To make money?  I like money but I'm not sure that is my goal here.

Am I a Mommy Blogger?  I don't know if I am.

I'm a brainy blonde, not dorky brainy, but kind of brainy in a hot, sexy, had three kids, with droopy boobs held up by a very expensive and supportive bra, kind of way.  I read a lot.  I am curious about things.  I like to write about the things that make me think throughout my day.  I love that I can write freely, as opposed to my freelance work as a Small Business Marketing consultant.  Sounds fancy huh?  Marketing strategy excites me but writing for some industries is more sexy than others.  The law for example, is keeping me sleeping at nights right nowzzzzzzzzz.   I digress....

Looking over my posts I think I could say I'm a humor writer.  On the other hand, my mommy-ness creeps into much of my writing because, well, I'm a mom.  

When I look at my little notebook of brilliant ideas all of my topics are different and many of them are not even remotely kid/mommy related.  A few of the scribbles in my notebook include:  In an Assgroove/rut, what is your assgroove?  Ward Churchill, worth a dollar? The Full Package (I don't remember what this brilliant thought was supposed to be about!), I don't get Anime, Summer Camp memories, Celebrity Affirmations, How do you definine brilliant kid????  -in relation to an interview about new columbine book, Things to do Now that you are Unemployed.

One of my favorite Bantering Blonde  Mommy Blogger type posts is this one here, A Bit of Advice.  I've also written about things like the new Pepsi Logo in Strange Orbs Invading, Banning Barbie in Stay Out Of My Toybox ~ Go Suck An Egg, let's not forget the multiple Sham WOW obsession posts, and don't forget Cocktails with the Bartending Blonde (look for another drink recipe this week btw!).  All articles infused with "me" - and I am a Mommy. 

Does this make me a Mommy Blogger?  What is my niche?



comments

12 Responses to "Am I A Mommy Blogger? What Is My Niche?"
  1. Cecily R said...
    April 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM

    I don't know what your niche is heck, I don't know what MINE is...), but the fact that you worked classy and assgroove into the same post makes you BRILLIANT in my book. :)

  2. Cecily R said...
    April 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM

    I so meant to throw a ( in front of heck up there...sorry, can't type this morning.

  3. Jendi said...
    April 7, 2009 at 8:50 AM

    I struggle with the niche thing also. I've decided to be a lifestyle or memoir blogger, but usually I just say Parenting and family.

    My life is my niche!

  4. Live Simply Mommy said...
    April 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM

    Oooh, When you figure it out, let me know... I need some good ideas:-) I also struggle with the Mommy blog issue... however, since I have "Mommy" in my title, I sort of outed myself from the get go!

  5. Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...
    April 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM

    after reading through some of your posts- humor is definitely, at least one of, your niche(s) because you had me laughing in every post!

  6. Shawna said...
    April 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM

    i've been trying to define my own niche--maybe frazzled, overextended, into-everything, mommy blogger? lol. it's hard when you have a feeling you're one thing, but you'd like to be another.

    i would say you fall under personal, parenting and humor for sure!

  7. Joy said...
    April 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM

    I consider myself a "mommy blogger" because I'm a mom that blogs. That simple. Sometimes I write about my kid sometimes I don't. I think what the title of "mommy blogger" gives me is the right to post mutiple pictures of my daughter whenever I want without someone telling me to put them away or without anyone gagging because of her cuteness. If you don't want to potentially see my family vacation photos then you might not want to read my site. The title also give me the open door to write about the three p's, Baby pee, puke, poop, without censorship. And again, if the possiblity of running into this type of subject offends then again readers have the choice not to read a "mommy blog".

    But that doesn't mean I have to stick to the subject of babies and poop. And I hope my readers don't expect me to. I'm a mom and I'm a woman. My blog is a site about what I experience and think. If my thoughts are on a parenting related subject, well then so be it, but if someone is reading my site hoping for only that kind of subject then they might be surprised when I write about politics or cheese.

  8. LadyStyx said...
    April 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM

    Very thought provoking topic. Hmmm. I wonder what kind of blogger I am.

  9. Margo said...
    April 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

    I'm struggling with this exact same thing as a fairly new (3 mos) blogger. The thing I have a problem with the whole "mommy" blogger thing, is no one who is a dad would even think to call himself a "daddy" blogger... he would confidently call himself an observational humorist. for that matter, how weird would it be for someone to call themselves a history major blogger, just because they majored in history? Also, for me, my kids are a little older now, would that make me a "mom" blogger?... Pretty much any woman's identity is infinitely more complex than what is implied by "mommy" blogger. If it means a blogger who promotes products to "mommys," then that's a whole different story.

  10. Shady Lady said...
    April 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM

    I don't know that this is a niche, but how about just being real? I think that is your niche.

  11. Anjanette Young said...
    April 8, 2009 at 7:19 AM

    What's a niche?

    LOL, I think it is what we make it. and you ROCK!!!

    You have some great posts.

  12. Kate Smedley said...
    April 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM

    Some interesting points, as women we have to be everything, I say be yourself, seems great to me! I love your blog. Thanks for the link to the 'lesson', I can't make it for Wednesday but will have a look at the page.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates