Monday, March 16, 2009

Stay Out of My Toy Box ~ And Go Suck an Egg



So, now the government wants to get into your toy box!

Unless you've been living under a rock you've probably heard about the West Virginia state lawmaker, Jeff Eldridge, and his bill proposal to legally ban Barbie (and other dolls) from being sold in the state of West Virginia. He believes the dolls influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.

My favorite quote in response to this comes from Khloe Kardashian:
"He can suck an egg, seriously. He's probably butt-ugly and always wanted a girlfriend that looked like Barbie but could never get one. People like that really annoy me."

Now Khloe, as much as I agree that the dude should go suck an egg, let's not make it personal.  Hmm, let's see what this dude looks like, shall we?


So, not a total Moe but I'm not lovin' the foo and someone should send a memo telling him that Brandon from 90210 called and he wants his sideburns back.  The guys at Queer Eye could totally have fun with him!!  If we got him a makeover do you think he'd lay off Barbie?  

Anyway, I'm smart and capable. I have a daughter and I intend to let her play with Barbies. (Although, I have to admit so far the lightsabers, and Rescue Heroes have taken center stage.)  

Come to think of it, why not outlaw all those stupid Super Heroes?  Aren't we concerned that our boys will have low self esteem when they figure out that they cannot spin webs, leap tall buildings, and see through things?  And frankly, I haven't seen too many men built like Superman in my neighborhood lately.  Trust me, I would have noticed.  All I'm seeing is dunlop, muffin top, couch potato action.  Although, the guy who came to clean the gutters was pretty ok, too bad he was like, 12.  

All I'm saying is that maybe Barbie has an unobtainable body but geeze, she is a DOLL. Why not remove all the fashion magazines from your shelves that are showcasing LIVING women? Why not shut down all the movie theaters that are showing anorexic actresses? Why not remove television from peoples homes so that they aren't exposed to damaging images of actual real life beautiful people?

I would also argue that most (notice I didn't say all) women and girls should be given a bit more credit for being able to determine the difference between reality and a DOLL. A doll that promotes creative play is not to blame for the value society puts on looks.

I remember spending hours as a little girl playing with Barbie. I had a friend who had a whole closet dedicated to Barbie stuff. We created elaborate story lines that lasted days, weeks even. Not one of my memories has to do with what her body looked like.

So what if she lives in a Dream House, shacks up with a hottie named Ken who drives a Corvette (does he still drive a Corvette?), and owns a cruise ship?

So what if her closet houses couture we only dream of and 50 pairs of Christian Louboutin shoes? She is also an astronaut, a doctor, a veterinarian, school teacher, and successful in dozens of more professions. The girl is making some serious jack so let her spend it... maybe Barbie will stimulate the economy for us.

Barbie lives a fantasy life, a life created and acted out by very creative and imaginative girls (and perhaps a few boys). Should we not encourage and allow our little girls to dream? Why not?

Mr. Eldridge has tragically misplaced his concern. I would urge him to look for something a little more productive to spend his time on.  In the meantime, sir, Go Suck An Egg!







comments

25 Responses to "Stay Out of My Toy Box ~ And Go Suck an Egg"
  1. Ryan said...
    March 16, 2009 at 12:45 AM

    Wow. War in Iraq... crappy economy... countless homeless... genocide in Africa, and what does this guy think is important? BAN THE BARBIES!

    What's next? Let's ban GI Joe because he promotes violence and patriotism? And Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because they promote the martial art training of aquatic pets?

    Lovely.

  2. rachel... said...
    March 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM

    Let's also ban professional sports. They make my husband feel really bad about himself as he watches while gulping down a beer and scratching himself.

  3. Live Simply Mommy said...
    March 16, 2009 at 7:50 AM

    I am with you on this one. I have 3 girls... the 8 year old never once touched a Barbie (she's more crafty) Yet the 3 year old loves them and plays with them every day. Who am I (or is HE) to decide what my kids think is fun to play with? She has one that's a mermaid... it doesn't make her think she can be a mermaid. It is up to me as her female role model to let her know she is smart, funny, beautiful-as-she-is and independent. I do not leave those lessons to her toys!

  4. Stacy Uncorked said...
    March 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM

    With so many other 'important' issues to deal with, this is what that guy thinks needs addressing? Seriously? Good thing I never have the urge to move to West Virginia - I'd be in huge trouble with the 400 Barbies I have stashed in the attic... ;) If they ban them, would they be confiscating them also? Yep, he CAN suck an egg! ;)

  5. Ute said...
    March 16, 2009 at 8:45 AM

    LMAO, RACHEL!!!!!! I'm laughing so hard, they're staring at me.

    Great post. I guess I really must be living under a rock. I had no idea about this Barbie banning thing. How bored must one get to make this their top priority???

  6. Shady Lady said...
    March 16, 2009 at 9:08 AM

    Excuse me while I crawl out from under my rock.

    My daughter plays with Barbie. Currently she plays with the collection of Barbies from the movie "Barbie and the Diamond Castle". She acts out the entire movie with her friends, directing them on their lines. For her, Barbie has nothing to do with looks other than wanting to play with a certain one because she's wearing...you guessed it...pink.

  7. Anonymous said...
    March 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM

    Personally, when I was a kid I hated Barbies. Or rather, I hated having to play with the girls who loved Barbies. However, that does not mean I want some week-chinned idiot legislating my toy box! Geeesh!

  8. kristi said...
    March 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM

    Great post. My 2 1/2 year old has about a dozen Barbie dolls and I've never heard her make any comment about her appearance. She does, however, believe that she should have red ruby lips like Snow White & live in beautiful dresses like Cinderella. Maybe this guy wants to take on Disney while he's at it!

  9. The Mother said...
    March 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

    While we're at it, let's ban sticks, because every young boy will pick them up and pretend they're guns.

    And boxes. Because they can be used in way too many creative, scary ways.

  10. La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...
    March 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM

    SOmeone doesn't have enough work on his desk if he had to go pick on Barbie huh?
    Love that you think he stole his sideburns from Brandon!

  11. septembermom said...
    March 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

    How ridiculous that this is the most important thing on this guy's agenda! Playing with Barbies doesn't ruin a girl's self image. It's all about fun. My daughter would be so upset if she couldn't get a Barbie doll. Play is about make believe. What's the big deal if Barbie is pretty?

  12. Banteringblonde said...
    March 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM

    OMG Rachel! You crack me up. I'm feeling fat today so I think we should ban mirrors. I'm also thinking we need to do something about money - can we ban money? I think it is giving me a seriously unhealthy view on the economy....

  13. Tina said...
    March 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM

    sounds like i have been living in a box in the UK cause i didnt know this lol ;)

    whats wrong with barbie? its much better than some of the dolls made these days that are plastered in make up and wearing revealing clothes.

    We have dolls like that called BratZ if you ever heard of them? :)

  14. Heidi said...
    March 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM

    I love your Go Forth signature! Cute!

  15. Regina Moore said...
    March 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM

    Ban the Barbies...ridiculous!

  16. Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...
    March 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM

    Great post! For me, it's all about personal choice. My boys aren't allowed to play with toy weapons (though it doesn't stop them from pretending nearly any or everything can be a weapon) but that is my decision. When I have a daughter, I'm pretty sure Bratz won't be making an appearance in our house but again...it's my choice not Joe Schmoe's.

  17. Anonymous said...
    March 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM

    Great post and thanks for stopping by my blog too! I grew up with tons of Barbies and I never wanted to be a blonde...I wanted straight black hair (I'm a redhead) so it mess up my body image too much.

  18. Veronica Lee said...
    March 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM

    Here's further proof your blog doesn't suck. Grab the award that's specially made for you from the top of my blog next to the running mouse.

  19. Anonymous said...
    March 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM

    Girlfriend telling it like it is!!!!

    Love it. :)

  20. 3L said...
    March 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM

    Okay so I have been living under a rock because I never heard of this ban, but that is crazy. I promise that never thought that Barbie's body was that inspiring, I always knew she was plastic and I liked my body just fine. The only thing that should have given my parents pause was that my doll was a Barbie Girl; she soap opera vixen that had her way with men and did not care who she hurt in the process.

    That was not Barbie's fault though, for some reason I love high drama; she helped me to explore my thoughts and creativity. Banning things never solves the problem. If you are worried about kids becoming anorexic teach the how to love themselves and their bodies. And "Leave Barbie Alone!"

  21. Anonymous said...
    March 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM

    Hi!
    Look like he don't have anything fun to ban. It is a free publicity for him since everyone in this world now barbie.
    See you around.

  22. Unknown said...
    March 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM

    Haha. this entry totally made me laugh out loud. I too, am a mom of two girls and I too, loved barbies as a young girl and will never, ever ban them from my girls' toy bin.

    As far as I'm concerned, barbies were around far longer than today's overemphasis on physical beauty and female sexuality. Great post. And as much as I dislike the Kardashian girls, Khloe was right on that one.

  23. This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...
    March 18, 2009 at 10:55 AM

    Oh wow, I am so glad I came by your site today because I needed a good laugh...and I sure got it!

    Great post!

  24. Ann Imig said...
    March 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM

    Never thought of the unrealistic superhero male imagery. Good point.

    You are hilarious:
    So, not a total Moe but I'm not lovin' the foo and someone should send a memo telling him that Brandon from 90210 called and he wants his sideburns back.

  25. Miche said...
    March 18, 2009 at 8:41 PM

    THAT was awesome. So well said; I loved it. I agree with you, too. It is silly to get rid of Barbie and other such dolls-my children will know enough to realize that the doll is not their role model: I AM. And the importance they place on looks will reflect the importance I place on it-which is little beyond basic grooming. So yes, he can go such an egg.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates