Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pimp Your Geek




Welcome to the first installment of PIMP YOUR GEEK. A series of reviews and recommendations for the geek in your life. 

The other day a big package came and, unlike many of the toys my geek orders that come in boxes, this one was in a big squishy envelope. I was dying to see what was in it, BUT The Blonde respects, so I waited.

My geek came home and when he saw the package he hopped up and down like a girl, ripped open the package and salivated over and caressed .....

... a jacket?

OK, the man shops for clothing once a year, and only because I make him go. I have to order all his clothes online for him because he would wear his grandfathers shirts from the 40's if I didn't.

What was my geek so giddy about? This:




This Signature System Scottevest, which includes the Quantum Jacket with the Fleece 5.0.  This has more jacket combinations than even a girlie girl like me has ever owned! It carries his ipod, iphone, has a sleeve in the collar for his earphones, a loop for keys, a "hydration system" (fancy schmancy marketing  speak for water bottle) pocket; 28 specially engineered pockets for every imaginable gadget your geek could possibly want to carry. For the love of Pete, there is even a big back pocket for his LAPTOP.

Who wears their laptop you ask? Well, if you travel nowadays there are strict limits on the weight of your bag.  Never fear though, YOU can weigh as much as an elephant, so load up your Scottevest with all of that geek love and stroll through the airport with a shit eating grin, knowing that you have everything you need within zipper's reach.  Just be sure to pack a Snickers and a Diet Coke for your Blonde.

What is the verdict? Very COOL.  The Scottevest products are really well thought out and I'm so impressed that I, The Blonde, may have to try the cute little hoodie - too bad it doesn't come in pink.  This particular jacket system has more bells and whistles than any geek gadgets we currently own.  (Trust me, if it has geek appeal we own it.)  What I really like is that all of the pockets are specially designed to avoid "unsightly bulges".  Let's face it, if you are carrying your four favorite manga, a laptop, ipod, iphone, and whatever 800 page book your are currently reading, it isn't all that easy to avoid a little bulge.  That said, I believe the engineering of this particular jacket achieves, at the very least, a reduced perception of girth.
  
The iphone/ipod pocket has clear touch fabric so that you can operate your unit without removing it from the jacket.  It is a little difficult to see through and operating the power button requires opening the pocket, but apparently the coolness factor outweighs the inconvenience.  

The reflective strips are nice because my geek walks home from the train station in the dark.  We did lose a set of keys, but they were found in pocket #18 later in the day.  When they were recovered, the excitement of the fact that there was even a pocket that it was possible to lose keys in made up for having to search all over our yard to find where we had hidden the spare house key. 

The Blonde thinks it is an attractive jacket even fully loaded with 50 lbs of geek gear. I was a little surprised at the $340 price tag for the full system, but the jacket without the fleece system was $250 and while pricey, not totally unreasonable for a lined waterproof jacket that obviously involves a LOT of engineering. 

This is the perfect gift for the geek that aspires to be Secret Agent Man or Inspector Gadget.


Check in next week for more Pimp Your Geek!



comments

12 Responses to "Pimp Your Geek"
  1. bernthis said...
    March 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

    ok, now I'm officially a geek too. Are you kidding me? when I travel with my 5 year old it is a nightmare. I would love to have more places to spread out my stuff.

    Your hubs rocks!

  2. Aliceson said...
    March 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM

    OMG! If you keep this up, I'll have to start wearing old lady pee catching underpants. You are one funny blonde!

  3. Anonymous said...
    March 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM

    A pocket for a laptop? I'd topple over.

  4. Jennifer said...
    March 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

    Wait. What if I'M the geek? I may need to get this jacket... ;-)

  5. Shady Lady said...
    March 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

    Now *that* is a jacket!

  6. Al said...
    March 12, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. Al said...
    March 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM

    So I've known John (Fiona's other half) for about 10 years now and while my geekiness usually follows his, I am proudly going to take credit for his latest purchase ;-)

    I'm traveling to Paris in a few weeks and in keeping with the latest fad to travel with only one carry-on, I researched this jacket as a method of carry some of the heavy stuff that would normally get "weighed". Hey, I'm a guy - what the hell do I need a 45 lb, 26" rollaboard with 3 pairs of shoes for? Like Fiona mentioned above, the airports don't weigh you and the clothes you wear, just your baggage. This jacket will fit my netbook (2.2 lbs), camera (1 lb), chargers and a plethora of various other geek items. Once I'm through security, most of it can go back in the bag. Sneaky, huh?

    BTW, if you're interested in OneBag travel, check out: http://onebagger.squarespace.com/ I did this on my last trip to China which was 4 cities in 2 weeks. One bag was the way to go!

    My SeV is the Evolution Jacket comprising 25 pockets. Mid-weight, waterproof and breathable with zip-off sleeves for year-round use. I've already lost my car keys in it so now I use the bungee and key clip. Now if only I could find the roll of white tape for my glasses...

  8. Rebecca Anne said...
    March 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM

    Thats the way to embrace the inner Geek in all of us. A jacket thats practically electronically charged.
    But wait, I have my geek on a Kindle2....is there a place for that latest sensation in there is well?
    Someday, we may all need to pack around a small generator to keep us charged up. Loved this!
    Rebecca

  9. Al said...
    March 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM

    Hey Rebecca, not sure if you were being serious about the Kindle2, but there is a pocket that's perfect for it. My netbook, which is slightly larger/thicker than the Kindle is in my left inner "Pub Pocket". Fits perfectly and the Kindle ought to be even less noticeable.

  10. septembermom said...
    March 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

    Geeks all around all running to order that jacket :) So many pockets for all their gadgets! It is a nice jacket too. Fun post. Glad I dropped by :)

  11. Miche said...
    March 13, 2009 at 12:49 PM

    That has to be the craziest coat I've ever heard of! A pocket for your laptop? Dang, that thing is more handy than me! haha!

  12. Stacy Uncorked said...
    March 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM

    Hmmmm...that may be just the perfect birthday gift for hubs - unless he buys it himself...he usually beats me to the punchline for b-day gifts and gets himself something I've had my eye one, leaving me back to square one to find a unique gift for him...LOL! :)

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates