Saturday, February 7, 2009

Happy Hour Playdates


If you've never been to a happy hour playdate you are truly missing out. This specific type of playdate is truly the best. Kids love the happy hour playdate because there are usually multiple friends invited and nobody has to leave early to do homework or practice, etc. Often times this type of playdate includes pizza, junk food, and as many juice boxes your little one can suck down. They can make as much noise as they want and as long as their play doesn't result in blood or broken bones the adults seem content to keep to their own "play".

I should mention that, yesterday, the boys in our neighborhood learned that aiming the automatic whiffle ball pitcher at your pal's 18 month old brother isn't acceptable, especially when said brother gets bonked in the face once and stares straight ahead wondering where that odd white thing came from, only to be bonked again in exactly 10 seconds.... yes, that got the attention of a few adults.

I love the happy hour playdate. It always falls on a Friday and the invite comes from a neighborhood mom desperate to gather her wine drinking friends for a little decompression. We gather right after school and are often still chatting happily by the time the Dad arrives home from work. He's excited to see all the relaxed ladies gathered before him and immediately calls the other dads for backup!

These are fun and memorable times. We are blessed to have a neighborhood of lovely friends. I always have a great sense of fellowship and comfort after a playdate like this. These women who listen and share their wisdom are my friends.

I love my friends.

I love that when I tell them about my basement raining poopy toilet water, the tales of the Sharpie covered plantation shutters, and my sweet angel-turned-bully daughter, they have stories to match and compare to mine. Somehow, laughing about these things with your friends is truly restorative. I head into the weekend refreshed and ready to recover and prepare myself for the adventures of next week!


comments

3 Responses to "Happy Hour Playdates"
  1. BookChook said...
    February 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM

    Well, I've never even heard of a happy hour playdate but they sound wonderful! It sounds like a win-win situation for everyone. I particularly love the sense of community you spoke of - so much alienation in society now, and so good to hear of those kids all playing happily outdoors.

  2. Heidi said...
    February 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM

    so sorry about the poopy rain water. Yikes!

  3. Jewel Allen said...
    February 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM

    Sounds like a great batch of friends. I have to FORCE myself out of my comfort zone to mingle with my neighbors and when I do I realize I have been missing out.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates