Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The State of Travel in 2010 ~ Trip to Insanity


Our family flew to New York to surprise my mother-in-law for her 70th birthday which just happened to fall over Easter weekend.  We paid Frontier Airlines $40 each way to check our two bags.  Paying to check a bag is annoying and I honestly would prefer to pay it up front in the ticket price... but whatever.  The airlines are all in a bungled mess and the whole removing all of your clothing (and your children's shoes) to go through security is a big headache.  The security thing gives us a sense of safety, I suppose, but I can't help thinking that, had we been able to see ourselves 10-15 years ago, in the security process we may have thought it was a bit ridiculous.

Anyhoo.... I stumbled across this article "Cash and Carry-on, Spirit Airlines to Charge $45 for Luggage in Overhead Bins".  For real?  So, let' see here, you wanted to charge people to check a bag, so they all started to carry a ton of crap on board and fill up the overhead bins... go figure.  So, now you are going to charge them for carrying bags on?  While searching for different potential sources of revenue the airlines have lost their minds and so far the customer has just been rolling with the punches!

I'd love to know how much this stupid move is costing Spirit.  They plan to add measuring devices at the gate to determine which carry-ons are free and which ones they will charge for.  Things like diaper bags umbrellas, strollers, books etc will all be weighed.  Well gee, that sounds like one more freakin' hoop to jump through before you get on the plane.  I predict that this move will just piss people off.


Flying costs money.  Tell me how much and let's just get on with it!  Charge me for a soda, charge me for a snack, I get that.  What I don't understand is, why WHY why WHY can't you just figure out the cost for me to fly myself and a bag and be done with it.  Southwest and JetBlue allow you to check a bag for free and I think their customers likely appreciate it.

When traveling is no longer fun people get grumpy and let me tell you, there are a LOT of grumpy people on airplanes nowadays.

I wonder what will be next?  Pay to use the restroom?



comments

6 Responses to "The State of Travel in 2010 ~ Trip to Insanity"
  1. Cheryl said...
    April 7, 2010 at 7:04 AM

    I completely agree! It is such a hassle and so expensive to pay for your checked bags. We are a family of six! It is not worth flying for us, and we try to drive everywhere right now.

  2. Shady Lady said...
    April 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM

    I hear ya! We have travelled quite a bit in the last 6 months and I've hated it. The Lizard King used to travel for a living. He is so grateful that he doesn't do that anymore. It just isn't what it used to be.

  3. prashant said...
    April 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM

    so expensive to pay for your checked bags
    home based data entry

  4. John Bryan said...
    April 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM

    Uh, RyanAir is beginning to roll out pay toilets. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1263905/Ryanair-toilet-charges-phased-in.html

    "Ryanair has confirmed that it is pushing ahead with its controversial scheme to charge passengers for use of toilets on its aircraft, meaning spending a penny on a flight will soon cost as much as a pound."

  5. Unknown said...
    April 18, 2010 at 7:02 AM

    I'm heading to FLA this fall and dread traveling with a 6 and 3 year old. Not because of their behavior because they will be fine. It'll be all the crap I'll need to bring with me on the plane. #mayhem

  6. Real Life Sarah said...
    April 20, 2010 at 5:52 AM

    I mean, seriously! Do they WANT to go drive all their customers to other airlines and go bankrupt?

    Fine with me, but I'm not flying them!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates