Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fuel Inspiration with a Simple List


I was incredibly inspired this morning, reading Karen Walrand's post on her blog  Chookooloonks, in which she outlined "100+ Things I'd Like to Do Before I Go".  She made reference to Might Girl, Maggie Mason, who, about a year ago, had come up with something she called her "Mighty Life List:  100 Things to Do Before I Go," listing all the things she'd like to accomplish in her life.  Maggie encouraged Karen to come up with a list of her own, saying that, for her, the processes had been transformative, even life changing.

As I read through Karen's list of "things", places she'd like to go, goals she'd like to achieve, I was struck by how incredibly individual a list like this is.  Would I want to kiss the Blarney Stone? Maybe.  Sing Blues in a bar? NO way - and it's likely best if I refrain from anything involving singing.

When John and I were first married, (14 years ago this summer - yikes!) we each made a list of things we wanted to accomplish.  I came across the lists about 4 years ago while sorting through piles of papers in preparation for the move to our current home.  I recall having listed learn to play cello, go to Hawaii, run a marathon... all things that would likely make the list today.  Except for marathon.  I love racing the half marathon but I can say with confidence that I'm not sure my body would survive a full marathon!  

As I started my own list of "100 Things", my mind began to wander and I found myself thinking about things I wanted to do now. Soon. Things that deserved to be on a shorter list, things that were possible to accomplish in a few years rather than sometime during the rest of my many many years left here on Earth.  I turned my attention to creating a "40 Before 40" list.... And as we all know, nothing so simple can be that simple for moi... I started to wonder if a "40 Before 40" list would be as transformative as "100 Things To Do Before I Go"?  Yes friends, I am just that anal.... must transform.  must do it "right".  must be perfect.  Sheesh, for a joker I sure do take an awful lot of fun stuff way too seriously! UGH!!!

I'm so used to own stupid mind clutter that I forced myself to step away.  I went back to Chookooloonks and read through the rest of Karen's list.  At the end of her post she writes, "I think Maggie's right -- we should all have a life list, no matter how long or short.  I mean, even if we don't accomplish everything on our lists, just by attempting some, our lives are bound to get a little more interesting, right?"
There it is. Make a list. There is no perfect and there is no right or wrong in this exercise - just get it down and see what it tells you and what great things it can inspire.  I can't wait to see what is on your list....

comments

5 Responses to "Fuel Inspiration with a Simple List"
  1. Shady Lady said...
    April 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. Madre Minutes said...
    April 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM

    Ok have you never heard of The Buried LIfe? You should check them out. Not going to spoil it for you just do it.
    You definitely can run a marathon....I have run two, one after having 5 kids and one after cramming 7 months of training into 4 after nursing my sixth child.....yes you can do it and you should. But you should run a marathon before the marathon in your training. Don't stop at 20 and think you can make the last six no problem.....that is where the wall is at mile 20 so you have to train through that. I actually ran from one town to the next. Yes I know hard to believe.
    I love this idea of lists. I probably have enough in my brain for about ten lists. My question is if you put something on the list can you change your mind and take it off the list? There seems to be something permanent when you put it on the list that it must stay there......
    Great post.
    b†
    madremintes.blogspot.com
    @madreminutes

  3. septembermom said...
    April 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM

    A marathon would be a great accomplishment. I always wanted to climb a mountain. I'm afraid of falling though. Guess I better get over that. Sorry that I haven't been around lately. My husband lost his job and we're job hunting again. Ugh! Hope all is well with you. I may do a bucket list post soon. Thanks for the idea!

  4. Kelly said...
    May 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM

    Hmm..things to think about...seeing as I am turning 37 in a month, I really should start a "40 things to do before I'm 40" list. Now you got me thinking...
    Already done one thing though, my blog, just started!!
    Thanx for posting!

  5. CG said...
    May 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM

    I have a 40 list. Doesn't have a set number of items on it. Thanks for reminding me to go back to it and check it out...see if I've done anything and if I have anything to add :)

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates