Tuesday, February 16, 2010

DisneySMMoms ~ Breakfast with Guy Kawasaki ~ Don't UFM because I'm beautiful


Our first day at Disney was mostly spent with our families in the parks but we were treated to breakfast with Guy Kawasaki.  He spoke about how he uses Twitter.  I'll preface my observations by saying I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Guy Kawasaki speak and I did take away some really useful information from his talk.  But.... Let's face it, neither you nor I are Guy Kawasaki and the chances that we could get away with some of what he does on Twitter are pretty slim.  Like zilch.  He may be able to tell people to "UFM" (unfollow me) but the rest of us would be roasted on a Twitter stake if all we did was tweet links all day long.  I'd be tweeting UFM a million times and at the end of the day I'd have 7 followers:  my husband, my mom (who has updated exactly 0 times in the 10months she's been on twitter)and the Five clients that I ghost tweet for.  Besides, I like my "twitmigos y twitmigas" we are "friends" of a virtual kind!
In building my personal brand it would be Twitter suicide to never say things like "I'm drinking coffee" ... well, I don't drink coffee so I'm more likely to tweet "I'm on my 9th Diet Coke of the day, giving up quitting is going well".  The followers that know me well, that I've built a virtual relationship with, are going to laugh knowingly and in turn, my personal brand as a geeky blonde Diet Coke drinking mac freak becomes a bit stronger.  (all mac peeps drink Diet Coke ... go ahead and test my theory) I've been quitting Diet Coke since I started Tweeting a little over a year ago.  My struggle with the addiction to Diet Coke is well known and documented.  The business part of me as a brand benefits from the original quirky personal tweeting because it makes me real; however, my clients hit the jackpot from what I took away from this session.  They are in it for the sell, and they can get away with a little more Guyness than @banteringblonde could, but I still argue that the personal interaction on Twitter has great value and I'd be doing my clients a disservice if I did not interact on their behalf.
I'm not out to be known as a social media "expert" and most people usually comment more on my humor than my knowledge so at least I make people smile? It is only natural that I would like people to follow me and find value in the things I tweet, otherwise what is the point?  I don't amuse myself, well that's a lie, I totally crack myself up at times.  So...
What did Guy Kawasaki say?  He uses Twitter to sell.  That's it.  He sells by driving traffic to AllTop.com (which is quite the informational clearing house!).  He maximizes his selling capacity by using different tools.  Other than ghosts and people he hires to rewrite cool information ... The two he mentioned were Twitter Feed and Objective Marketer (which I checked out and actually think is really really super cool... but someone should run a webinar on how to get the most out of it because I played around a bit but am certain I could use it better).  Essentially, in order to gain the most benefit from a tweet you really ought to repeat it every 6-8 hours, never tweet the same tweet more than 4 times.  I tested this out for a client yesterday and I almost wet my pants when I saw the return.  I almost quadrupled my results for the same amount of work - now I'm more valuable!  I wasn't shocked by the result, I was shocked at how easy it was.... Thanks Guy!
So, Guy Kawasaki operates a well oiled money machine and does it very well.  He lives on page views.  None of his content is original and trust me, the dude is not offended that I just said that, he's smiling and winking and counting his money.  And I'm working on getting some of my sites to be cranking page views the same way.
The big BUT here is that I do not intend let the personal side of BanteringBlonde be overshadowed by linky stuff and while I'll likely schedule contest tweets and blog link tweets and @momactive will likely play the Guy Kawasaki game, @banteringblonde will still be tweeting about Diet Crack, I mean Coke several times a day.  I like my BanteringBlonde - I like her wit and her original content and she's a pretty smart blonde that lives to interact with others.  Without that personal contact I'd have no reason to tweet @banteringblonde and then I'd have to find something else to do with my nervous energy.... AND gosh darnit the twitterverse likes her!
Now Go Forth and Banter friends.....

comments

8 Responses to "DisneySMMoms ~ Breakfast with Guy Kawasaki ~ Don't UFM because I'm beautiful"
  1. PeasandBananas said...
    February 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM

    You woke me up from a nap to read about Diet Coke?! Sheesh!

    I like @BanteringBlonde she's my friend - I am able to banter with her all day - and she'll banter back with wit!

    Alright I'm still in a fog, have zero wit with me - enjoyed the read. Cheers!

    Peas Out!
    ~daddy b.

  2. Cheryl said...
    February 16, 2010 at 1:14 PM

    Phew! I love @banteringblonde. Don't ever change. We like you, we really really like you...
    Glad you had a blast at Disney!

  3. Ms. Sarah said...
    February 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM

    sounds like you had a blast

  4. Sarah Fader said...
    February 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM

    Seeing the disney dollar actually brings me back to when I was nine years old. I remember receiving them in Orlando and being really excited to use them!

  5. Aspen Real Life said...
    February 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

    I was going through my old posts and came upon all of your comments. It was like discovering an old friend.

    You were my main support in my early days of blogging and I thank you for that.

    I truly did not understand the importance of social networking back then.

    Clearly, you have it all figured out.

    Anyway, it has been good to revisit you and see what you are up to and I enjoyed your post.

    Don't be a stranger.

  6. ScrappinMichele said...
    February 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM

    If you start sending me links, I'll UFM you! HA HA! And I'd really rather hear about how you are on your 9th diet coke, then get a constant stream of links.

    I don't believe that Twitter is JUST for sending links. that would make Twitter pretty boring. To me, that's spam and NOT a conversation.

  7. Adorable Tots said...
    February 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM

    Hi

    I have just started to follow you on twitter and have found your blog very interesting. I'm pretty new to this blogging and tweeting, but am looking forward to doing and learning more from you and others, thanks for sharing

  8. Anonymous said...
    February 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

    You're much prettier than Guy, and much more interesting! I will check out the two Twitter sites he recommended though - thanks for sharing!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates