Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dork Episode #1,151,082 ~ The Blonde Gets Schooled By World Class Extreme Skier



I embrace my inner geek. I love my geek side because it keeps me company when hubs needs a break from the "high maintenance" me. We've been married over 13 years and together almost 18 so it is likely that it works for him too. More than the geek in me he loves the dork, the totally uncontrollable sociable one. The one that absolutely has to run her mouth off when she has an opinion. So, it shouldn't be any surprise that he got a kick out of my most recent escapade.

Last weekend we went up to our condo in the mountains sans children.  A little birthday celebration for just us.  My mom stayed in Denver with the kiddos and held down the fort.

We went up late Saturday afternoon because hubs was a little under the weather from his surprise 40th birthday party that I had thrown him Friday night.  We raced up and caught the lift right before it closed at 4pm.  We boarded down the mountain and stopped at our favorite spot, The Beaver Creek Chop House, for a little Apres Ski.  The local television station was interviewing people right behind us.  Cosmo's Most Eligible Bachelor was there and some other apparent celebs I didn't recognize.  Then, I recognized someone totally cool .... Chris Anthony, across the room.  You know?  The extreme ski dude in all the Warren Miller films?  I snowboard because skiing scares the crap out of me and I love watching Chris Anthony just toss himself off a cliff and slam down a mountain.

You know what's coming, right?  I have to tweet.  So I tweet and learn that he is on Twitter as @chrisanthonyski.  Only thing is, I'm not impressed by his Twitter presence.  He pretty much tweets here and there every few days and never converses, he has 500 followers and follows 15 people.  I know he's at The Beave for his techniques class.  The class is pretty cush, and costs a few bucks, so I know he probably has to market a fair bit to fill the class..... yes, folks, that is where my head went. My husband is most to blame for this dork episode.... he plied me with beer until I was convinced that someone had to tell Chris that he's missing out.  I mean how could he not be utilizing one of the best business tools that exists?  I know he's a friendly and personable guy (not first hand, but you know what "they" say...) why wouldn't he make the most of a Twitter presence?  I have clients that really wouldn't benefit from using Twitter because of their business model, but an actual personal brand could benefit huge.... I was going to help this poor guy out! 

You can probably guess what happens next.  I head over and introduce myself and ask if he is @chrisanthonyski on Twitter.  I ask him why he doesn't tweet more - I should be glad he doesn't because he would have already seen what an ass I am just by looking at my tweets.  We got into a great conversation where I learned that he is extremely active on Facebook and that he develops personal relationships with people and that most of his instructional classes are filled by people from Facebook contact.  I love it, totally love it AND I've had such a hard time putting my finger on how I feel about FB for business that I learned quite a bit from him. I won't go into the whole conversation, but in the end I don't think I convinced him that Twitter didn't have to impersonal.  Fiona Fail....  I still think he could benefit from a Twitter presence and if his pr peeps are keeping tabs they'll be reading this post.  If they aren't he needs new peeps... just sayin'.  So hey!  Call me... or tweet me @banteringblonde!

I did get a picture out of it.  See?  Look how clearly you can see! I'm so cool I can barely stand being in the same room with myself.


comments

8 Responses to "Dork Episode #1,151,082 ~ The Blonde Gets Schooled By World Class Extreme Skier"
  1. ScrappinMichele said...
    December 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM

    LOL! You crack me up! You go girl and tell him how to tweet!!!

  2. Shady Lady said...
    December 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM

    You are THE coolest!!!

  3. Unknown said...
    December 23, 2009 at 9:54 PM

    Oh Fiona....I just Love you!

  4. chow and chatter said...
    December 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM

    oh you are too funny, so pleased you had fun with your hubby
    Merry Christmas Fiona

    Rebecca

  5. Anonymous said...
    December 24, 2009 at 11:01 AM

    That is way cool and is totally something that I would do (and maybe have done in my past!).

    Glad you had a fun time.

  6. Jen @ After The Alter said...
    December 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM

    I too am very outspoken! lol I think it's great you told him what you thought! :) Sounds like a nice getaway for you and your husband!

  7. joanofalltrades said...
    December 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM

    I hope you guys enjoy the time alone. I still have never been skiing. I once went on a ski trip and got snowed in. How is this possible?!

  8. Coffee with Cathy said...
    December 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

    Kudos for having the smarts to follow through with your gut reaction -- inspiring!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates