Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bringing the Spirit of Halloween Back


Halloween Night in the Fish Tank



What ever happened to the good old fashioned fun Halloween dress up?  I went with the blondies to look for Halloween costumes and felt a bit of sadness at how icky gross and gory Halloween has become.  The stores are all full of bloody nasty dead figurines.  The costumes are all gory and scary - even for the younger kids.  


When I was a kid.....


Haunted Houses were supposed to freak you out and scare you with surprise - now it seems like all blood and guts.  Rather than spooky or eery, it all just seems blechy.


Our moms all made our costumes until we were old enough to get creative and make them on our own.  My mother made us awesome costumes.  I remember a bunny costume, southern belle costume, scarecrow, whatever we wanted to be she made it happen. One year my mother turned an old bedspread into a clown costume for me.  I remember how ugly that 70's spread was -- I was one funky golden clown that year.    Costumes now seem to be all about blood and gore and horror.  Creativity and originality doesn't seem to exist in choosing one's Halloween costume anymore.


Next year, I'm bringing the true spirit of fun Halloween back into my home!  I'm not buying costumes for my kids.  I'll give them a budget and they can pick out whatever supplies they need to create a costume.  Notice that I didn't say I'd be sewing - I'll provide glue gun support but we are all better off if the sewing machine remains in storage.    


comments

6 Responses to "Bringing the Spirit of Halloween Back"
  1. Jennifer said...
    October 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM

    love it! I had the same thought this year. we'll see if how my little one's costume looks next year.

  2. Jennifer said...
    October 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM

    That's too funny! My mom actually never sewed at all...probably why I'm not so domestic!

  3. Stacy Uncorked said...
    October 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM

    Love it! I've been really happy the Princess Nagger hasn't been interested in being gory for Halloween...she's still maintaining cuteness. At least so far. Here's hoping it can remain so for a while! :)

  4. Unknown said...
    October 30, 2009 at 7:03 AM

    i know...this year seemed to be even worse with all the "gross" costumes. No imagination anymore!

  5. Randi Troxell said...
    October 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM

    totally agree with all of this!

    have a great wkend!!

  6. Aliceson said...
    October 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

    I love making costumes for the kids. They can choose whatever they want and we don't have to settle for crappy store bought costumes. And really you can almost anything with some hot glue and safety pins; you wouldn't necessarily need a sewing machine.

    This year my younger daughter is going as a red crayon. Photos on my blog tomorrow.

    Have a great Halloween!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates