Friday, June 12, 2009

Coffee Tastes Like Ass And I'm Diet Coke Free


nataliedee.com

Do you drink coffee?  I don't.  Never have.  Smells good but tastes like ass.  I briefly considered trying to start up a coffee habit to replace my Diet Coke habit this week, but I couldn't do it.  Too gross.

Have you ever tried to quit something over and over and over again and failed?  For many many months, well more like years, I have tried to stop drinking Diet Coke.  I would go a day or two of just having one in the morning and then decide it was a stupid idea.  The problem wasn't drinking Diet Coke, it was the amount of Diet Coke I was drinking.  I always had a can by my side, it was my companion.  A companion that is rotting my insides, destroying my teeth, and doing all kinds of other nasty things to me, but I forgive it.  I have a theory about the evil Coca-Cola conspiracy that I'll share in another post, at another time.  Today, is about me, all about me and how fantabulous I am.  I know some of you are probably DONE with this topic and ready for me to move on, but this is my blog and I'll brag if I want to.....

Most of you have been following my journey that started last weekend when I decided to just go cold turkey and challenge myself to give up Diet Coke all together.  I'm sure the tweets have been entertaining.  Guess what?  Today is day 7 and I haven't had a single sip of Diet Coke all week!  

I still think about Diet Coke quite a bit, but I'm not going back.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for me to be so dedicated to fitness and health and yet be slugging back a bazillion gallons of that garbage.  I believe the theory that diet soft drinks lead to obesity because they make you crave sweet foods, could have some truth to it.  Try drinking just water for one week and see what happens.  I felt cleaner and thus made much better choices when eating.  

The result?  I lost 5 pounds over these 7 days!  So, to those of you who taunted me, teased me, said it was impossible, and laughed...

How Ya Like Them Apples?

 

comments

24 Responses to "Coffee Tastes Like Ass And I'm Diet Coke Free"
  1. Sultan said...
    June 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM

    I replaced my coke habit with tea. It is much healthier and available everywhere.

  2. Hit 40 said...
    June 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM

    I do not know how I started loving coffee, but it is fabulous with a little half&half and some sugar. Excellent.

    Not just any coffee. I like my coffee brewed at home - caribou or maybe starbucks brand. Starbucks coffee at the store is bitter.

    5 pounds in 7 days!! Outstanding.

  3. Aliceson said...
    June 13, 2009 at 5:34 AM

    I love them apples! Way to go Fiona, I'm so glad you're sticking with it and seeing some good side effects from ditching the Diet Coke.

    Not much of a coffee drinker either, unless it has Bailey's Irish Creme in it. ;)

  4. Unknown said...
    June 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM

    Way to go Fiona! Giving up anything like that is tough and hitting 7 days is awesome! I totally agree with the diet drinks still causing weight gain, congrats on losing the 5 pounds too. Don't switch to the coffee, it is just as addicting and probably one I need to look at cutting back on soon.
    Hope this coming week is a good one for you!

  5. Lizz said...
    June 13, 2009 at 7:44 AM

    Good for you!!!!

    Yeah I do like coffee, but it has to be pretty sweet and not very strong.

    I started drinking it out of necessity after my first. It's an acquired taste for sure!!! But I STILL don't get how people can drink it black. *shudder*

    PS I'm also a big Natalie Dee fan! <3

  6. Jennifer said...
    June 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM

    That's awesome! I never doubted for one minute you could do it!

  7. Shady Lady said...
    June 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM

    You go girl! That totally rocks!

  8. Dixie said...
    June 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM

    That is fabulous.
    I love coffee myself, but now your post has me wondering if maybe I really just love the taste of ass.
    ;-)

  9. Anonymous said...
    June 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM

    Awesome 5lbs!! I'm a coffee drinker and really need to quit that. Someday maybe. Again congrats :O)

  10. mrs.notouching said...
    June 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM

    Congrats! I am a coffee drinker. I started drinking it as soon as I was old enough to drink from the cup. My mother always smelled like coffee and now I find the smell of it very comforting. If there was a coffee perfume I would wear it!
    Years ago I was addicted to Mountain Dew... and not the diet kind... Then quit. And I remember how at recent party they didn't have anything else but MD so I thought - no big deal I'll just drink one can. The funny thing was I couldn't finish it - it was too sweet and too gross! And I used to drink 5 cans a day... So good luck the next week!

  11. Dixie said...
    June 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM

    Pop over to my place when you have a moment and pick up your award!

  12. Margo said...
    June 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM

    good job! I only like coffee with sugar/sweetener and real half and half or soy milk...tea I just need a little honey. But I've got a killer sweet tooth... maybe I'll conquer that next.

  13. Jennifer said...
    June 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM

    I gave up Coke a couple days ago. I followed your lead. And surprise, surprise! It's been fairly easy! However, I'm meeting friends for BBQ today. Drinking water with my BBQ? I will have to keep my guard up. Coke is sneaky that way...

  14. AiringMyLaundry said...
    June 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM

    I agree, coffee does taste like ass. Like you I love the smell but the taste is horrendous.

  15. My Trendy Tykes said...
    June 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM

    I don't like coffee either......Giving up coke? Ummm I wish I had that same will power. Ok, maybe I don't. I LOVE MY COKE!

    Good job though

  16. Ann Imig said...
    June 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

    That is AMAZING. Good for you! You should feel really proud. I don't know if I've ever kicked a habit.

  17. Ute said...
    June 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM

    Hooray for you!!! I don't do coffee either. Can't stand it. And I grew up in a house, where they apparently make great coffee. I tried it with and without milk, cream, sugar, as Cappuccino, Espresso, and Latte... I just can't drink coffee.

    I also don't drink Coke or Diet Coke. My guilty pleasure is milk chocolate... the really bad kind with lots of creaminess and deliciousness and sugar... *sigh*

  18. Peggy said...
    June 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM

    I love coffee and I love tea but I don't think I like ass!
    I'll have to get that thought out of my head by mroning!
    Congratulations on giving up the diet coke, you are awesome! Did you say ASS? Never mind.

  19. Anonymous said...
    June 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM

    I have never been a coffee drinker.
    I am so proud of you!!!!!
    Water is very refreshing, I should just be drinking more of it.

  20. Unknown said...
    June 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

    I so have to have my coffee in the mornings. I don't think I could ever kick the coke habit it is way to good.
    Thanks for coming by -- have a wonderful weekend.

  21. Paging Doctor Mommy said...
    June 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM

    That is so awesome! Way to go girlfriend!

  22. Veronica Lee said...
    June 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM

    Way to go, Fiona !!! You rock!!

  23. Sarahviz said...
    June 15, 2009 at 11:39 AM

    Mine is Coke Zero. 2 a day. Is that bad?

  24. Kelly said...
    June 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM

    Good job. I'm trying to give up drinking coke. I never drank much coke until my last semester of university. I don't drink coffee either and don't plan on ever starting.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates