Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Melrose Place Revisted ~ Will You Watch It?


Where have all the writers gone?  For some reason we are getting regurgitated shows out the wazoo.  First, we get 90210 and now Melrose Place.

They were both shows I watched a million years ago but how many different combinations of crazy can they cram down our throats?

Best of all?  We get to see Ashlee Simpson-Wentz on TV.  I know you are all just squealing with excitement.  Other than being Jessica's sister and lip-syncing on SNL, I don't really know that much about her so I'll reserve my judgement for after the show airs.

Here is an excerpt from the CW's description of the show:

Melrose Place - In an elegant Spanish-style apartment building in the trendy Melrose neighborhood of Los Angeles, a diverse group of 20-somethings have formed a close-knit surrogate family. Sydney Andrews (Laura Leighton, the original Melrose Place) is the landlady, still beautiful at 40, and a central figure in the lives of all her tenants, especially handsome and rebellious David Breck (Shaun Sipos, Shark). [Hold up!  Didn't Sydney die??]  Sydney started an affair with David despite her turbulent history with his estranged father, Dr. Michael Mancini (Thomas Calabro, the original Melrose Place). Both father and son learned through experience that Sydney was not above using blackmail to control people. Another tenant, high-powered publicist Ella Simms (Katie Cassidy, Supernatural), once considered Sydney her mentor, but their friendship was destroyed by betrayal, and Sydney threatened to evict Ella and ruin her career. Sydney also played a pivotal role in the career of Auggie Kirkpatrick (Colin Egglesfield, All My Children). After they met at an AA meeting, she became Auggie’s sponsor and encouraged his dream to become a chef. Now a successful sous chef at the trendy restaurant Coal, Auggie has been avoiding Sydney since she began drinking again. 

The other tenants include Lauren Yung (Stephanie Jacobsen, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), a medical student in desperate need of money to pay her student loans, and Jonah Miller (Michael Rady, Swingtown), an aspiring filmmaker who has just proposed to his live-in girlfriend Riley Richmond (Jessica Lucas, Cloverfield), a first-grade teacher. The newest tenant, 18-year-old Violet Foster (Ashlee Simpson-Wentz, 7th Heaven)
[Well, I missed that!  I had no idea Ms. Ashlee actually had acting experience, must be the rock I'm living under], has just arrived in LA with her own secret connection to Sydney. When a bloody body is found floating in the courtyard pool, David is the leading suspect. However, as the police are soon to discover, almost everyone living at Melrose Place had a reason to want the deceased out of the way. An updated version of the popular 1990s series, MELROSE PLACEis from CBS Television Studios with executive producers Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer (Smallville). Oscar-winner Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth) is the director and executive producer of the pilot. 

So now you can commence with your summertime activities knowing this gem of regurgitation will be waiting for you in the fall when you plop your bootie down for some more good trash TV.  I'll be putting it up for Tivo and will give it a chance because you know, I'm nothing if not addicted to trashy TV.  Will you be watching?  What shows are you looking forward to in the fall?

comments

16 Responses to "Melrose Place Revisted ~ Will You Watch It?"
  1. Mommy In Pink said...
    May 26, 2009 at 5:12 AM

    I was a huge fan of Melrose Place in the 90's, however, I most definitely will NOT watch this show.

    How can you remake a show like that anyways?..just like the new 90210, the acting sucks and the storylines are even worse. And I'm sorry, but Sydney Andrews died a long time ago, there is no way anyone is going to believe that she's back...haha..what a joke!

  2. Jennifer said...
    May 26, 2009 at 6:43 AM

    I was a HUGE 90210 fan but Melrose...not so much. I do like Ashlee Simpson and honestly have to say I MIGHT have owned her CD...maybe..possibly...TOTALLY DID!

  3. Randi Troxell said...
    May 26, 2009 at 7:27 AM

    woooosh.... sounds like it might get crazy!! but i must admit... i think i'll have to try it out and watch at least once... cant help it!

  4. Anonymous said...
    May 26, 2009 at 9:48 AM

    Not sure I'm liking the whole "Let's Redo and Old Show". But since it's not on ABC,CBS or NBC, it might actually stand a chance. Not sure if I'll watch though.

  5. BurtonReview said...
    May 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM

    What a wonderful 'plot twist' = load of bull to have Sydney alive and well and a LANDLORD on top of that. I don't think we would have pegged Sydney's 'future' (despite death) as a landlady when we watched Melrose 15 years ago.

    (If it's been more then 15 years I don't want to know, Ok?!)

    But taking one short look at the new cast photo and the whole hands-on-the-hip and we're not smiling thing.. well... ewwww.

    They just don't look like a fun bunch of 20-somethings, do they?

    I'd rather watch the originals over again, thank you very much. Love that dude Michael Mancini. I think Heather L did her best 'work' here as well. Poor thing.

  6. Unknown said...
    May 26, 2009 at 12:04 PM

    I can guarantee I won't be watching. The less soapy TV the better. {*grin*}

    Besides, leering at 20 somethings just isn't my thing now. 30 years ago, maybe.

  7. Margo said...
    May 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM

    Heck yeah, I'll give it a shot. But what's with this Sydney, "the landlady, still beautiful at 40" ? Like it's such a shocker that at this ripe old age she looks good. I guess Ashlee Simpson is the epitome of beauty. You would think the producers would remember they're talking to potential audience members who are one side of FORTY or the other. Not you of course. Very, very uncool.

  8. Rebecca Anne said...
    May 26, 2009 at 2:03 PM

    Ok, I admit, I was addicted to the first 90210....Dylan was my man. My teen daughters were excited for this new go around and I tried to watch, I did.....no can do.
    I think I've lost my stomach for most TV. Greys Anatomy is about it!
    Rebecca

  9. Paging Doctor Mommy said...
    May 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM

    I'll probably watch the first episode or two just to give it a chance! We'll see how long I stay tuned in!

  10. AiringMyLaundry said...
    May 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM

    I won't be watching.

    I wish they'd do a Dawson's Creek revisited though. I'd totally watch that one.

  11. Grand Pooba said...
    May 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM

    I need to go back and watch the original Melrose. I just finished watching the original 90210 and had a riot making fun of their clothes and drama!!

  12. Shady Lady said...
    May 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM

    I loved Melrose Place back in the day. But, that was back in the day. I'm thinking I'll just skip this one.

  13. Sara Elizabeth said...
    May 27, 2009 at 12:47 AM

    I won't be watching. I loved the original 90210 and MP. However, I started watching the new 90210 and almost threw up. One, the acting sucks. Two, the story lines are lame. Three, the acting sucks. LOL. I can image how the new MP will be. So, nah.

  14. Unknown said...
    May 27, 2009 at 6:26 AM

    I am sooo gonna watch this. I am really looking forward to GLEE....saw the preview and it looks good.

  15. Anonymous said...
    May 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

    Yep. I'll watch. Never watched the first one or 90210 but I watch the new 90210 (no idea why but I do) and I'll watch this :)

  16. Stacy Uncorked said...
    May 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM

    I was hooked on the original 90210 and Melrose Place... I will DVR the new MP and see if it's any good, but generally the original is always better. The only saving grace to the new 90210 was having Kelly and Brenda part of it, but overall...meh! :)

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates