Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dear Mom ~ Thanks




Happy Mother's Day Mom!  
Look, I'm making you famous on my blog!  I hope you are enjoying your weekend at the spa with T.  
Since you are away, you probably haven't gotten the cute card I sent.  Well, actually, you probably haven't gotten it because I'm sitting here looking at it right now.  It really is cute and I bought it way ahead of time so that I'd get it to you before you left on your weekend spa trip.  Unfortunately, the Swine Flu hit and I haven't been able to get to the post office.  You know how it is with those pandemics...

I know you are proud of how together I have it.  How thoughtful and kind I am when it comes to occasions like this.  What really sucks is that now that Stew (my brother and in this picture above) is married to Super Woman, I know you'll have had a card and flowers and all kinds of gifts send to you.  I'm not the good kid anymore and I'm thinking I might embrace this new reality and just go for it.  Maybe I'll get a tattoo or something just to show you how OK I am with my new found badness.

I wanted to say thanks for being such a great mom all these years.  There are several things in particular that I'd like to thank you for.

1.  Thanks for scaring the crap out of me and making me think that if I took aspirin it would kill me.  My fear of anything chemical has been seriously instrumental in keeping me away from drugs.  Unfortunately, the whole beer and wine thing has definitely brought me half way to Bettie Ford a few times.  No worries though, I did learn to drink the expensive stuff so nobody has a clue.  

2.  Thanks for being from Scotland.  The whole "my parents are European freaks" came in handy when facing peer pressure of any sort.  When made fun of for wearing the same pair of pants two days in a row, when begging others to trade my apple for their Hostess Cake, when my curfew was 10pm while other's got to stay out until midnight, you name it and the "European freak" excuse was a cool enough cover for any situation.  

3.  Thanks for not clueing me in to the fact that several of my boyfriends were complete losers that would never amount to anything.  When I found my husband it was GLARINGLY clear to me that he was perfect because I had seen a LOT of losers!

4.  Thanks for making me walk to school whenever I missed the bus.  That was awesome because I got to become very good friends with this really popular girl whose mother drove her to school every day.  Their car was so much nicer than the bus anyway.  I'm pretty sure that clinched my social standing for most of middle school, so thanks for that.

I love you for so many reasons, Mom!  I hope you are having a great weekend!

Love,
Fiona

comments

24 Responses to "Dear Mom ~ Thanks"
  1. Lori Lavender Luz said...
    May 10, 2009 at 8:35 AM

    Too funny!

    You embrace your bad-a$$ self, BB.

    And dang, your family is good-looking!

  2. Anonymous said...
    May 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM

    I was just blog hopping.....

    Beautiful family. In a sense, all Moms are famous. Hope yours has a wonderful Mother's Day. ~Mary

  3. Paging Doctor Mommy said...
    May 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

    You are too funny!

    Happy Mother's Day!

  4. Leslie said...
    May 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM

    What a gorgeous mom you have (inside and out!)

    Happy Mother's Day!

  5. Unknown said...
    May 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM

    Beautiful picture!
    Loved your post! It was to cute! TFS

    Hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day.

  6. Rebecca Anne said...
    May 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM

    What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. She sounds fabulous and you guys look fabulous in that picture! She certainly looked out for you over the years~
    Rebecca

  7. Heidi said...
    May 10, 2009 at 11:15 AM

    You might not be the good kid anymore but the way your rock that blue dress, well, . . .priorities!

  8. Jennifer said...
    May 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM

    LOL! With a list like that, how could your mom NOT be proud of you?! ;-)

    Hope you're enjoying your Mother's Day!

  9. Stacy Uncorked said...
    May 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

    This is the best 'mom tribute' post yet!! ;) And that picture of you, your mom and brother is priceless!!

    Wishing you a Very Happy Mother's Day! :)

  10. Aliceson said...
    May 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM

    Oh I hope your mom reads your blog. She's going to love this! I can tell she's a cool mom because she gave you a kick ass name. Seriously, I think Fiona is one of the best names out there, it truly fits you! Happy Mom's day!

  11. Unknown said...
    May 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM

    LOL My mom was the same way, I'm scared to death of taking anything Rx or OTC!! I'm sure I'll die with baby asprin! Your mom and you look so alike!! Happy Mothers Day! To you and your Mom♥

  12. Anonymous said...
    May 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

    I loved your post. Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom! :)

  13. theothermother said...
    May 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM

    No wonder you're such a great mom. Look at your role nodel!

  14. zelzee said...
    May 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM

    Love the picture!
    Mom will like it that you made her famous much more than the fact that she got a card on time from Super Woman!

    Happy Mother's Day! Great lessons from Mom!

  15. Anonymous said...
    May 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM

    Fiona,
    Thank you for this post. There were times when I questioned if I was doing the right thing by you since you didn't come with a "user"s manual" so I am so proud of the beautiful young woman you turned out to be. Happy Mother's Day to you and go hug those darling grandchildren of mine.
    Love, Mum

  16. San Diego Momma said...
    May 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM

    You look SO much like your mom!
    Lucky!
    She's beautiful.
    And I love her comment to you just above mine.

    (Not to be maudlin, but it's great that you are showing your mom the love! I lost my mom in 1997 and wish I could tell her today how much I love her! :) )

  17. AiringMyLaundry said...
    May 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM

    What a fantastic post. Your Mom sounds like a wonderful lady.

  18. 3 Bay B Chicks said...
    May 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM

    I think that nothing says "I love you" better than a post filled with wit and a splash of sarcasm. Tell me, does your Mom read your blog? :)

    I would venture to say that this is better than anything Hallmark could come up with.

    -Francesca

  19. Dee said...
    May 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM

    your mom is a beauty, and you take after her. What a fab post, I enjoyed it very much. Hope your Mom's mom's day was relaxing!

  20. Randi Troxell said...
    May 11, 2009 at 8:22 AM

    great post for mom... i love it!

  21. Ms. Wanda said...
    May 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM

    I love this post:) I'm still LOL:) Enjoy your mom, and send her that card!

  22. Kathy B! said...
    May 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM

    This post is funny and cute and sweet but I'm totally hung up on the picture! You look just like your mom! and that's a VERY good thing :)

  23. Heatherlyn said...
    May 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM

    That was a fun mother's day post! So, if you go the bad route and get a tatoo will it be the kind that says "Mom" on it? j/k

    Ever since having children I've been horrible at getting and sending cards. It's good to know that I'm not the only daughter. But you made a really lovely post for your Mom! That's got to count for something!

  24. Sweet Serendiptiy said...
    May 12, 2009 at 5:42 AM

    You cracked me up! Great post. Way to rock mom 's day.
    BTW your mom is gorgeous, just like you.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates