Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Zambonie Free Eating ~ A Review of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter


I love peanut butter.  My kids love peanut butter.  My hubby covets peanut butter.  I love creamy peanut butter on toast for breakfast.  We often enjoy sliced granny smith apples dipped in peanut butter for a snack.  Peanut Butter is a staple in The Blonde household.

I'm a mom that looks at labels closely and the word "natural" doesn't fool me, so when I saw the Skippy Natural Peanut Butter on the shelf I instantly rolled my eyes, picked up the tub and turned to look at the ingredients and nutritional info.

I was surprised to see that there were only four ingredients:  roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil and salt.  Palm oil?  Is that good or bad?  I had no idea but I didn't see the words "partially hydrogenated" on there so I chucked it in the cart anyway.  Definitely worth a try.

(Turns out that palm oil has the same functional properties as hydrogenated oil without all the nasty effects on your health.) 

Can I tell you?  This peanut butter was AWESOME.  Some would claim the sugar disqualifies it as "natural", but I'm not eating peanut butter without sugar and if you can get my kids to eat the nasty bitter stuff you are a magician!  The best part about the Skippy Natural is that because palm oil doesn't separate, you don't have to stir it like all the other natural peanut butters I've ever tried, it is consistently smooth throughout, and no nasty drippy oil spills in the pantry!  

Supposedly if you wanted to be truly "natural" your peanut butter would have one ingredient: peanuts.  Unfortunately, it doesn't taste that great, the texture is often blech, and the mess just makes me grumpy.  

If I'm going to spend the calories eating peanut butter I want it to taste good, and I certainly don't want to have to pull out the grease zambonie every day.  

A 2 tablespoon serving of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter provides 180 calories and 16 grams of fat (which is 25% of the RDA if you are counting), of which 3.5 grams is saturated (again if you are counting, 18% of the RDA). 7 grams of protein, 6 grams of total carbohydrates, 2 grams of which are fiber (8% RDA) and 3 grams of sugar. 

I feel good about eliminating the partially hydrogenated oil from my family's peanut butter.  I feel even better that Skippy Natural Peanut Butter still tastes yummy!

I did try another leading competitor's natural peanut butter and have to say I was quite disappointed.  The taste was not nearly as smooth and sweet, and I also noticed a bit of oil sitting at the top one morning.  Barely noticeable, but definitely there, shocking really!

comments

14 Responses to "Zambonie Free Eating ~ A Review of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter"
  1. LadyStyx said...
    April 14, 2009 at 3:11 AM

    Still alotta fat if that's one of the things you're watching. Sad, because I really could go for a PB sammich right now....

  2. Chelle said...
    April 14, 2009 at 6:55 AM

    I really like the Skippy Natural as well and, yes, it does have a lot of fat but, it's the kind of fat that is good for your heart. Plus, recent studies indicate that natural nut butters help control cholesterol and may help women lose weight.

    Thumbs up :)

  3. Dee said...
    April 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM

    sounds yummy, thanks for doing the research

  4. zelzee said...
    April 14, 2009 at 7:56 AM

    Are you sure you are not my daughter?

    Earth Child is that you?

    "Of course, I only feed the girls natural peanut butter, dear....."

  5. Call me Paul said...
    April 14, 2009 at 8:07 AM

    I'm not sure I understand the reference to a "zambonie."

  6. Aliceson said...
    April 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM

    I'll have to try this! A while back I bought some organic PB (2 giant jars from Costco) it was not good. The oil would separate and sit on top, gr-ross!

  7. Ute said...
    April 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM

    I feed my family Kirkland's Organic Peanut Butter. Love it!

  8. Minxy Mimi said...
    April 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM

    Sounds super yummy!!!

  9. Lori - Msslaydbug said...
    April 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

    I will have to keep an eye out for this - I haven't seen it or just wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the review !

  10. Shady Lady said...
    April 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

    Now you totally have me craving peanut butter!! I'm an organic gal, so I go for the organic stuff but do always read ingredients. Palm oil is good stuff and good for you. I'll have to check out the Kirkland brand Freckle recommended.

  11. bookieboo said...
    April 14, 2009 at 9:12 PM

    I'm with you on the peanut butter. I don't eat it that often now, but when I was in my first trimester, that was the only protein I could choke down. I've been eating the organic costco stuff...no sugar and doesn't taste as good.

  12. Kathy B! said...
    April 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM

    This sounds great! I'll have to try this one!!

  13. melissa said...
    April 17, 2009 at 5:29 AM

    just a tiny fyi...most natural peanut butters have oil at the top. just stir it before use! i was initially put off by that too. but...once i found out why, then it was all good.
    thanks for stopping by my blog! nice to "meet" you. hey...be sure to go and enter the dinosaur book drawing! it ends on april 20th.

  14. Astaryth said...
    April 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM

    Hmmm.... the hubs eats a lot of peanut butter, maybe I could sneak something healthier in if it tastes good! Still, he would probably notice because he is hooked on the Jiff Peanut butter & Honey brand. Remember being a kid and mixing peanut butter and honey (or white corn syrup LOL!)? Yeah, well they do it for you at Jiff ;p

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates