Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tweet Tweet My Sweet ~ Time Suck In A Bottle



A few weeks ago I posted about not "getting" Twitter. Love Facebook, totally "got" Facebook.  Wouldn't ya know Facebook went and tried to turn itself into Twitter... but that is another story.

I challenged myself to face my fears and Twitterdom embraced me instantly.  I had followers coming out of the woodwork.  My own tweetiness was a little rocky at first, but I stuck with it and I think I'm doing OK.  I didn't really enjoy it at first but something clicked after a few days and now my chatty info junkie self can't get enough of it.

At first I'd get excited when someone would send me a DM (direct message).  But then I realized that a lot of the DMs were like canned spam.  Like this one....
spammerjoe - Hey thanks for the follow. I made a special 2 minute video for you.

I didn't go check out Joe's video because frankly, spammerjoe could have been some psycho perv and then I'd have images to go with the creepy feeling the DM gave me.

Here is another one....
nittwit - Thanks for the follow.  I look forward to getting to know you through your tweets.

Really, do you?  For real?  'Cause trust me, I can tweet my little bootie off if you need me to so that you can get to know me better.

Then this girl DM'd me and sent a link with "what you can expect from my tweets".

Uh, are we dating? Am I interviewing you for something?

Just a little note, if you DM me something wack, I usually unfollow.  I'm not as quick to unfollow as some people are, but unless your DM is written fresh for me, or you've been tweeting with me and I like you, I unfollow.

I've made some "friends", found some great blogs and been led to interesting news articles, learned a ton about twittiquette and my blog traffic is definitely up.  I even followed a tweet to a Blog TV show and that was a hoot and a holler..... and a huge time suck in a very large bottle. 

The one downside is that I can't write,  I have a genius moment and then the little bird on Tweetdeck tweets to tell me who is tweeting, and then I have to go see what has been tweeted and then I have to answer tweets, RT (retweet) cool stuff, follow links to other blog posts and news articles, and by the time I do that at least 100 more tweets have occurred and PHEW, it starts all over again!

My advice?  Unless you plan to become infinitely less productive.... stay away from Twitter.  


comments

11 Responses to "Tweet Tweet My Sweet ~ Time Suck In A Bottle"
  1. Margo said...
    April 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM

    I'm not sure how I feel about Twitter yet. It seem a bit like a fast moving merry go round. I'm famously inconsistent to begin with.. And what's with these people who follow you and then you follow them back and then a few weeks later, they unfollow you? Or maybe it's just me... they figure out how inconsistent AND boring I am.

  2. Stacy Uncorked said...
    April 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM

    I haven't quite fallen into the time suck mode of Twitter - I let TwitterFeed send my new blog posts to Twitter and every so often I'll tweet something, but for the most part I generally don't do the twit stuff...(grin!!) I suppose when I'm not running around like a chicken with its head cut off I might become a little more adventurous... ;)

  3. Jenn@ The Crazies said...
    April 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM

    It is a HUGE time suck... though I enjoy it too much! And I do follow your tweets... but would never DM you wack stuff LOL

  4. Unknown said...
    April 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

    Totally with you on the time suck thing! But I just keep following people.

  5. Shady Lady said...
    April 12, 2009 at 6:35 PM

    I barely have time to keep up with the blogs I read and the little bit I do on FB. I can't figure out where Twitter could fit in. I think I'll have to pass. ;)

  6. LadyStyx said...
    April 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM

    Im with Shady, I have enough on my hands with the blogs I follow and my MS....last thing I need is another time sucker.

  7. Kathy B! said...
    April 12, 2009 at 8:46 PM

    For me it's either Twitter or blog... I have the twwitter account set up, but I'm not so good about using it. I just can't do both!

  8. Rebecca Anne said...
    April 12, 2009 at 8:53 PM

    Embrace your inner tweet bird! You'll learn how to maintain it.

    Now, I need to go track you down, tweet you, get you saved in my Rockstar category so that you don't get lost in my no mans column of tweetdeck!
    I'll do that, as soon as I find your Vlog.......

  9. BookChook said...
    April 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM

    How could you not have looked! Such incredible self-control! You are now on my official hero list.

    Have to tell you I would have had to peek at his video, just to find out if it really was pervy. But I would have slitted my eyes so as to shut them fast, just in case.

  10. Dee said...
    April 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM

    i still don't get twitter

  11. Kate Smedley said...
    April 13, 2009 at 3:50 PM

    I'm on it but I'm not sure about it really, prefer the blogs and posting on Triond but I'll keep with it until I've made my mind up! Glad I'm not the only one who's not sure.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates