Saturday, January 24, 2009

TIME......


So, I was all excited about writing this great blog that would entertain and now a few weeks have passed since my last entry!  It isn't that I haven't written.  I just haven't finished anything I've started.  I'm flattered by all of the emails (taunting threats) my faithful followers have sent me asking why I haven't been delivering.  The truth is that I picked up a new project that sucked the life out of me!   That work brought me another client almost right away.  I love starting something new, especially when the client has virtually NO marketing in place.  A blank canvas with so many opportunities!  I become consumed and can't stop thinking about all the exciting things I can do to help them grow.  Suddenly, I'm learning all kinds of things.  See the product, feel the product (or in this case eat it.... yummy!), be the product.  See the customer, think like the customer, be the customer.  Learning someone else's business inside out is exhausting and exhilarating at the same time.  Getting the client excited about their own company is awesome.  The energy and excitement is contagious.... and then they want the goods.  They LOVE the goods immediately.  I am brilliant stay-at-home-mom copywriting genius.  My layout is perfect, the pictures are fantastic, the content couldn't be better.  This lasts for all of one day.  Suddenly I am genius making one tiny little change.  It's so good but.....  Five times a day for at least a week.  I am genius at beck and call and happy to do it!  Kind of like a puppy.  I'm a puppy fetching and sitting, rolling over.  Wagging my tail the whole time.  Somebody loves me and not because I am changing their diaper or singing Twinkle fifty times in a row.  Have dusted off brain and have phone calls that don't involve talking about child barfing on the gym teacher.  This is pretty cool.....  And then they decide they like the first set better.  I love this client, I love their business, this is the most fun I've had in a long time.  They are new, they have a really great concept.  They have so many ideas, so many great ideas.  Every time I produce something for them they get more ideas.  I could spend all of my time creating for them and only them.  Did I mention they are new?  That means they aren't rolling in cash.  Which means that my role as a freelance marketing consultant brings new meaning to the term FREElance.  I'm cheap and easy.  I'm eager and excited.  I'm building my portfolio and this client is going to be a good one to show off.  I have spent the last 9 years taking care of my family.  I haven't worked outside the home other than picking up the mail or yard waste, and a LOT of dog poop.  Oh, outside the home means so many things.... I did do a small amount of marketing and sales for our own company that sold 3 years ago, and have headed up many many many (did I say many) committees and fundraisers for the schools.  My youngest child will start full time Kindergarten in two years and I still want to be there when my kids get home after school.  This type of work is perfect for me and I really enjoy it.  I do need to figure out how to not let it consume every brain cell that I have.  I'm going to have to learn to be better with my time!  MELLIE, my mentor and idol, please call me dear friend! 
In any case, I'm having fun and my apologies to the blogosphere.  Thanks for missing me!
    

comments

1 Response to "TIME......"
  1. Sue M. said...
    January 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM

    Fiona, so glad that you're finding some fulfillment outside of the home. I love you describing changing diapers and singing Twinkle 50 times in a row though...LOL

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates