Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lady Gaga ~ All Schtick?



So Lady Gaga reaches a billion views.  I get that.  I can see the curiosity, the buzz, it makes sense.  She's crazy and that is obviously her "schtick".  The first time I saw the whole Kermit the Frog get-up I laughed and thought "nice.  she'll get noticed, wonder what her music is like."  No, I speak to myself rhetorically quite often, I didn't really wonder. 

I live under a rock.  That mom that stays/works at home rock.  My mind is operating on "efficiency mode", that mode where a conveyer belt only allows in what will fit at the moment and spits out the crap no longer needed.  Lady Gaga pretty much never made it on to the conveyer belt for me.  Couldn't have told you what she sings about and I have only a vague idea of her sound, and that is only because the social media fiend in me can't help but run across Gaga noise on a daily basis.

Enter my BFFH (Best Friend Forever Husband), who I love with every fiber of my being.  He came home (for one 24 hour period, mind you) after being on a business trip for 10 days and proceeded to plug his iphone into my car stereo.  I had been home, over TWO full weekends, with three adorably age appropriately behaved children, whilst Lover Boy crossed the country on the electric bus band wagon.  (For which our hungry bellies and my shopping allowance are ever so grateful.) 



"What is this?"

"Isn't it awesome? I can't get enough of it, I've been listening non-stop all week."

"What.  IS. It.?"

"Oh, Lady Gaga."

"ahhhh I see."

"So.... you don't like this?"

"Well.... " [This is where I must remind you of my classical music training and its influence on my appreciation of all forms of music COMBINED with my adoration of those artists who market themselves so well despite a lack of .... well, I'm not a critic so I'll just stop there.]

"She's a little over the top, don't you think?"

"Yeah but the music..."

I proceeded to totally offend him and piss of our brood who worship and follow each and every movement of their dear father. He ripped his iphone off the connection and got all huffy.  

I am nothing if not open, PARTICULARLY when it comes to music.  So the next day, while Gaga Lover Boy was once again traveling the country on his mission to save the world and my ever growing need for a LV bag, I sat down and gave Gaga a listen sans video.  Dance-Pop ... it's a little overdone for me.  Her voice is O.K. at times, I like a good beat, and I could probably consider taking a ride on a disco stick, but now I'm old and I can't get the "schtick" out of my mind.  She is an ultimate performer in the most true sense of the word and she is obviously doing something right, but for me it's a turn-off, a joke, a really slimy come-on.  Truthfully, I think the reason she is always collapsing from "exhaustion" is because in order to ride this wave of popularity she has to be 24/7 onstage and shakin' her bon bons (or Kermits, if you will) in front of the fans to carry the music.... again I'm no critic, just expressing my opinion.  (I hear you, I heard that!..... you said "but that's what people said about Madonna."  Fair enough, but I WAS Madonna in the 80's so I considered that, but Gaga is no Madonna... yet, anyway.)

In my quest to be "open" I've blipped most all of Gaga's stuff. The lyrics make me blush a bit!  That isn't me being old, I'm just sorta that way.  So, friends, I'm curious....

What do you think about her music?  I mean, we can all agree that the "performance" is attention grabbing and that she has clearly figured out how to market herself, but will she remain relevant?  If so, for how long?  And, if we are going to bring Madonna into this, will she be able to reinvent herself over time the way a Madonna has?  

Before you answer, listen to this live version of Speechless....

comments

13 Responses to "Lady Gaga ~ All Schtick?"
  1. ScrappinMichele said...
    March 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM

    I'm with your hubby. I love her stuff. To me if a tune gets stuck in my head and makes me feel happy, I love it. I listen to it almost every day. I can't help but want to get up and dance when I hear a lot of her songs. I loved her performance with Elton John.

    And really now that we have video, most singers ARE performers. We don't want to just see them stand on stage. We demand performances now so the music industry finds new ways to get us hooked and interested.

    I like that she knows who she is and she has been using social media to rise to startdom.

  2. Cheryl said...
    March 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM

    We listen to alot of Lady GaGa in this house. I think she has ALOT of talent. But most people won't see that with all the over the top stuff she does.

  3. Twisted Melody said...
    March 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

    I think she's actually quite good, but in a way, she does obscure her raw talent with all the flashy pop culture display she does. I found some videos of her performing years ago before the whole theatrical performance of Lady GaGa and her voice is really amazing.

  4. Carissa said...
    March 25, 2010 at 10:18 AM

    Never even seen/heard Lady Gaga but I like this song. Hmmm may have to go check things out now!

  5. MommyLovesStilettos said...
    March 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM

    I love her and so do my kids. I can see how some might think she's over the top but I just adore her. I think her outfits are crazy and kind of stupid - but whatever she is doing - she's doing it right. I just really love her music.

  6. Anonymous said...
    March 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

    Hmmmm...my mind is still working on this. We agree that she is crazy in our house and I can put on my girlness and just have fun with my 10 year old daughter. But I think the only reason she is a constant costume "schtick" is that a few people know that her singing talent isn't all that. Maybe she could carune a tune in the early days but I'm not sure now. We still like to wake up to some "Ra, Ra, Roma,ma..."

  7. Shady Lady said...
    March 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM

    Move over! You're crowding my rock. I've seen her name mentioned a few time on Facebook. I got curious a couple days ago and Googled her. She reminds me of Madonna ten or twenty years ago. Can I crawl back under my rock now? ;)

  8. Ute said...
    March 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM

    I'm not exactly living under a rock, but I can't stand this dumb child who couldn't make a buck with her music before she started wearing silly clothes and singing non-sense. Ugh... problem is, my children are both singing her stupid songs from the top of their lungs. How is life under a rock? I'd like to get one please.

    And my apologies to all you Lady Gaga lovers... I give you permission to make fun of ABBA which I love. :)

  9. Talking with Tami said...
    March 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

    She's a cute girl and can carry a note, I just want to know what she's going to do when all that plays out. Maybe she will become an actor lol

  10. MyBusyMind said...
    April 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

    I think she can carry a tune, but I think the antics are getting in the way of what she can actually accomplish musicly. Love her duet with Beyonce the Video Phone.

  11. Charles Danek said...
    April 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM

    Well, if she has all of you talking about her, and that is obviously what she wants, then she must being doing something right, right?

    Fiona, in your OP and in some of the comments that have followed, I gather that when it comes to Lady Gaga, her music is one consideration, but her antics are another... but as I see it, both are very much tied together - do they need to be separated?

  12. Lisa @ StrongMothers said...
    May 15, 2010 at 4:59 AM

    She does remind me of Madonna in her younger years. She definitely knows who her target market is, and it's not us rock dwellers.

  13. Banteringblonde said...
    May 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM

    Charlie! They are tied together ... absolutely and that is part of the beauty of the phenom that she has become - and her music is clearly influenced by the need for antics as well.... I'm just not sure I love the music, although since this post I've had to listen to it quite a bit and admit, it's all very catchy. RAH RAH RA_AH....

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates