Monday, November 30, 2009

Hello, I'm Your Holiday Cheer Buzz Kill



I must be a big fat Scrooge. It's the Monday after Thanksgiving and I haven't even thought about hanging a wreath, sending a greeting card, or baking fifteen dozen different types of cookies.


I'm actually not a Scrooge. I like the holidays, enjoy the parties, love the happiness that people seem to feel this time of year. I have a theory, though. My theory is that there is this biochemical happiness switch that goes off in people the day after Thanksgiving.  They pop open their eyes and shoot out of bed, ready to Deck the Halls! I may be wrong but it seems that some people are so desperate to be happy and joyful that they throw themselves into a spastic fit of excessive shopping, decorating, baking, and glee making. I'm afraid to do that because come December 26th I'd crash and burn and would definitely fall into a major funk.  My humbug-ness is purely preventative medicine.


I drove by a friend's house twice this weekend. Once on Saturday at about 4pm and once on Sunday at about 2pm. Both times her husband was on a ladder at the front of their house hanging holiday lights. That would never happen at our house, not in a million years, and if I or my hubs did ever get drunk or high enough to actually think we should hang Christmas lights, they would still be hanging in all their glory come next Halloween.


Black Friday? Doesn't sound appealing to me. And where are all these people getting the money to buy TV's and computers? Didn't they get that memo about our country being in an economic depression?


Cyber Monday? NOW you're talkin'! Without the invention of online shopping, my family would still be getting different variations of the handmade wreaths I used to make back when I first discovered the most fantastic invention for the craft-impaired ever, the hot glue gun.  You can be sure that I'll be spending some time on Amazon today. I dig free shipping and my husband has a long running wish list. I also love the recommended lists and I always find great ideas for my relatives. Easy Peasy!


One more confession.... I haven't sent out holiday greeting cards for about three years. Maybe more.


I'm just a plain old holiday cheer buzz kill, aren't I?

comments

10 Responses to "Hello, I'm Your Holiday Cheer Buzz Kill"
  1. Mommy to ♥Pickle and SugarPlum♥ said...
    November 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM

    You MUST be my TWIN!!! I couldn't have described me better!

  2. Jennifer said...
    November 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

    Woohoo!! I needed a little banter in my life! I was cracking up this whole post!! I'm a little scroogey too!

  3. septembermom said...
    November 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM

    You make me laugh! I can identify with those "is it time to decorate already" feelings. I really forget to send out Christmas cards.

  4. Krystal Grant said...
    November 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM

    You have freed me to let out my inner Scrooge that I've been oppressing for years. I love Christmas but I hate the hustle and bustle. I even hate Christmas lights. I think most of them are tacky! Bah Humbug!

  5. Randi Troxell said...
    November 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

    yea i had big ideas for friday after thanksgiving.. no shopping, but i was totally gonna decorate and make it all pretty.. and.. i so did NOT do anything!!!

  6. Heatherlyn said...
    November 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

    I love the lights and the Christmas cards and the baking. I could do without all the crazed shopping.

  7. Shady Lady said...
    November 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

    Nah, you haven't killed my buzz. You won't catch me doing Black Friday shopping. I do my best to avoid crowds. This year, I did all my shopping online. Gotta love Amazon Prime free two-day shipping!! Yes, I am about done because we're leaving for Disney World on Friday and Hanukkah starts on the 11th. Happy Holidays!

  8. Unknown said...
    December 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM

    I ordered the holiday cards and can't get the gumption to address them all.

  9. daddy bookins said...
    December 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM

    Glad to hear I am not the only Grinch (err....Scrooge I mean) around :o)

    Peas Out!
    ~daddy b

  10. kanishk said...
    December 4, 2009 at 3:08 AM

    I was cracking up this whole post!

    Work From Home India

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates