Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How To Do It All ~ Work at Home Mom Bliss


People have been asking me lately how I do it all. Here is my take on it:

Frankly, I don't do it "all". At this point, I'm just fakin' it 'til I make it. Here is a list of things I haven't done lately....

Laundry
Dishes
Cook
Trim the hedges
Winterize sprinklers
Clean up the jelly kidlet dropped on the carpet... 8 days ago
Renew passport .
MANY MANY THINGS.... including:
Sleep

You can't have it all and you sure as heck can't do it all. So you may as well stop dreaming. We all make choices. I love what I do and I love that I've figure out how to do it and still be home when my kids get home from school. It is hard and it is a lot of work. There is no way to sugarcoat it - I make choices and every day there are things that I let go (which for this Type A freakazoid has not been easy!).

My children are happy and healthy and well cared for, and they know that I work all day and again when they go to sleep at night. They know when to tell me that they are on their last pair of undies and will go to school nekkid the next day if I don't throw a load of laundry on. They know that I cook three awesome meals a week and that the other days are going to be less than fabulous. They also know that Mom is happy and excited about the work she does.

How do I do it?

1. I am a mom and wife first and a business woman second. My clients know that there is likely to be chaos in the background if they call after 3pm or before 8am. They know that I spend Tues/Thurs with Katherine and that I will never answer the phone between 4-8pm.

2. Avoid mirrors and invest in a good concealer. The bags under my eyes are not attractive but thanks to Too Faced cosmetics, I look human on most days. (Why yes, Too Faced, I do accept sponsorship and/or add placement just email me bryandotfionaatgmaildotcom I've turned many a girl onto your bronzers!)

3. Two words: Crock Pot (or slow cooker as some call it)

4. This is my new secret, and the key to how I will retire the Costco sized bottle of TUMs sitting on my desk. Back Of The House. I've blogged and vlogged a little about this service as I was getting onboard, but today the power of B|O|T|H really hit home. My personal advisor at B|O|T|H walked me through all of the online banking, bookkeeping, etc. today. At first I was feeling intimidated, realizing how "non-compliant" (NOT ON PURPOSE) I have been. My business records are fairly non-existent and since most of my clients pay me online, I have several checks sitting on my desk from as far back as August.... perhaps now you see where the bottle of TUMs comes in? As she told me how she'd have administrative access to my billing records and banking account, that she'd be able to see when a check came through that I hadn't accounted for, that an accounting firm would be producing a r-e-p-o-r-t each month, I felt a little overwhelmed. And then, AND THEN, I wrote my first check from Fiona Bryan LLC for a Home Occupation Permit application. Yay first check right? I started to feel the heartburn come on again when I was told I needed to create a receipt for it. I could scan and keep a copy, or write it on a sticky and figure out what to do later (oooh that is appealing), or (drum roll please) send an email with check number and amount to my PA and she would take care of making sure it ended up where it needed to be! (I don't remember where it needed to be - I'm skeeeered of that type of thing.) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Holy COW. If you consult like I do, you get why this tiny thing made me so giddy. I want to be "compliant", I want to keep good records, I want to be "legit". I'm just a little frazzled because I can't do it all. I think I've been in denial about the other "back of the house" aspects of running my business. This is NOT smart and I'm a smart blonde, really I am. I appreciate the opportunity to write about this product more than I ever imagined I would when it all got started. I'm optimistic and I'll be back at ya soon with more of my experiences with B|O|T|H.

So there ya go, you can't do it all, you can't have it all, but you sure can have more and enjoy it along the way!



comments

11 Responses to "How To Do It All ~ Work at Home Mom Bliss"
  1. bookieboo said...
    October 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

    You captured my life in a nutshell too. Kudos for getting the LLC and become legit. Mine was a pain to create, but it was the 2nd biz I created so I knew the drill. But can you believe I paid $1600 in taxes last year BEFORE ever making a profit. I still cook every night, but NOTHING extravagant. I you want extravagant in this house, you better settle for Subway. Ha! LOVE YOU!!

  2. Michele McGraw (ScrappinMichele) said...
    October 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

    You are a goddess! :D And I say that because you DON'T do it all and you don't pretend you do. I love that!!!

  3. daddybookins said...
    October 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

    Awesome!!! And bookieboo took my Kudos award...sheesh...anyhow Kudos to you!! I think it's great! Don't worry about sending the kids to school nekkid....as long as you have a hot/warm meal from the crock pot....they'll be fine!! Cheers!

    Peas Out!
    ~daddy b

  4. Jennifer said...
    October 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM

    You trim the hedges?!?

  5. Anonymous said...
    October 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM

    If you figure out a way to get all of this done you let me know...I would love to know how! I think you are great and do a great job!

  6. kathy sykes said...
    October 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM

    This was a great post. I laughed hard because I saw a lot of myself in you. Organization is key and I work hard to keep it ALL together. I love that fact that you seperate your family time from business time and your clients know and respect that. That says a lot about you. I saw you at Blogalicious but we did not meet. Learning a lot about you here.
    Kathy

  7. Anonymous said...
    October 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM

    You seriously sound like .... ME .. loved this post! And slow cooker, crock pot, whatever you want to call it .. I call it Queen Magical Cooking Machine ;-)

    Great post!! I need an accountant or something being a virtual assistant keeps me on my toes for sure!

  8. Heatherlyn said...
    October 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM

    Yep. No one can do it all. But there are tricks for doing a whole lot and still finding happiness!

  9. Stesha said...
    October 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM

    Amen sister! "Fake it till you make it!" That's my motto!

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

  10. Cheryl said...
    October 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM

    I will never be able to do it all, and that's okay. As long as my kids are happy, it's all good. I may need some info on this BOTH thing! Sounds awesome!

  11. Jen @ After The Alter said...
    October 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM

    Thanks for your honesty. I just posted today about the battle between SAHM and working moms and how there are so many strong opinions about both. Either way it's a struggle and it's ok to be honest about it. too many people think they can do it all and thats when they find themselves falling short...you just can't do it all!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates