Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Get Yourself Out of that Funky Slump!


I've been so busy with work this summer that my house has imploded. Any free time I have I want to spend with my kids so things have become very cluttered and depressing. I'm a bit of a clean freak so my house is sanitary but the CLUTTER is driving me insane.

So how does one get out of a slump like this?

First, arm yourself with one very large trash bag and one plastic bin. Next, choose the room that makes you most want to vomit. I chose my living room - it is the room everyone sees and the room that makes me want to cry each morning when I come down the stairs. I have anxiety in the pit of my stomach as I look at the piles of books that have never made it back to the shelves, the toys that are strewn across the floor because I have not been very good about making the kids clean up before bed. I love the free play, the relaxed laziness of summer, but NELLY, the mess it leaves!

Now, be stealth about this next step. Throw anything and everything that is broken, useless, unidentifiable, or resembles a food product into the trash bag. DO NOT look back just keep shoving it in. Throw all the toys and books that you want to keep into the plastic bin and move the bin to another room where you can pretend it doesn't exist.

Next, and this is the most important step if you really really want to get out of that slump, re-arrange the furniture. Just push everything around and when you are done your life will be perfect again.

Peace is one clean room in my house....

comments

10 Responses to "Get Yourself Out of that Funky Slump!"
  1. Jennifer said...
    August 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM

    I love rearranging my furniture! It ALWAYS makes me feels better!

  2. Unknown said...
    August 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM

    Thanks Fiona! I am going to make my husband move my family room furniture around for me this weekend. And I'll be sure to let him know it was all your idea!

  3. Jennifer said...
    August 19, 2009 at 11:44 PM

    Oh yes, do I ever agree with your advice! I'm going to Target to get a bin! :-)

  4. ScrappinMichele said...
    August 20, 2009 at 5:22 AM

    I agree...changing furniture is a good idea, but my hubby doesn't think so. I've been purging stuff for the last few weeks and it feels soooo good. The hard thing is throwing away, but when you do, you feel fantastic.

  5. Randi Troxell said...
    August 20, 2009 at 7:35 AM

    i think i'm going to take your advice on this too... my house needs an overhaul too!

  6. Anonymous said...
    August 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM

    Oh lord my husband is going to KILL you -- I am always moving furniture around and he is never sure what he will find when he gets home! I was just thinking to fit all the Christmas trees in this year it is time to rearrange again! First to sell the books so I can make the library we NEVER use into a sewing room!

  7. Anonymous said...
    August 20, 2009 at 8:04 AM

    You are right, the plastic bag is the best trick in the world. Just start tossing and don't look back. We rearranged the furniture beginning of this year and it did make a difference. Once the kids are back in shcool my house is so much neater.

  8. thewordwire said...
    August 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM

    The timing of this post is perfect, because we are tackling the guest room turned closet today. I was procrastinating when I sat down at the computer. Breaking out the bags and bins... thanks for inspiration!

  9. Shady Lady said...
    August 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM

    I used to want to be a professional organizer...before I became a mom. I would have been good at it back then. Now...well...not so much! It does feel good to declutter, doesn't it?!

  10. reener said...
    August 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM

    It gets easier as the kids get older....hang in there...but in the mean time....you're doin' it right!

    I have a couple rooms here that could use you....

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates