Monday, July 13, 2009

Confessions of a Diet Coke Addict


MY DIET COKE

Ok, to all of you who have encouraged me in my quest to give up the lethal substance, Diet Coke, I have a confession.... I fell off the wagon.

It happened. It was a conscious decision that I struggled with many times. Then the other day I tweeted that I was "Contemplating Diet Coke". My Twitter buddy, @JBrotherLove, answered "Why not? You only live once!" and I thought, "Not only does this man have a really sexy twitter name and a deep sultry voice that makes a girl giggle a bit, he makes TOTAL sense". I mean, why give something up when you are just going to die some day anyway? So, I took the plunge and cracked open a can of the evil liquid.

The first sip was a bit of a shock to my taste buds. It was tingly and lovely. I waited for that nasty sweet taste everyone said I would get once I'd been off it for so long. It never came. I waited, sip after sip, after sip, after sip.... and so on. I had a Diet Coke and I didn't even feel all that bad about it. Until today....

So, one Diet Coke turned into another Diet Coke the next day. Then two Diet Cokes set me back on the same path I had just jumped off of a month and a half ago. I didn't really think a Diet Coke here or there would really make a difference, but today I realized that it very definitely is making a difference. I went to grab a salad for lunch today at one of my favorite spots and decided I'd have a small Diet Coke. This was all good until I realized that I had also somehow purchased a cookie! A cookie! You know?? Those round sweetie things that I've been avoiding successfully right up until today!! So, all of the benefits that I had been experiencing from getting the garbage out of my system completely went down the toilet.

One of the best side effects of not having the nasty fake sugar stuff in my system was my ability to tame that crazy-ass "sweet tooth" that has plagued me all of my adult life. I am absolutely 100% positive that introducing Diet Coke back into my system was directly related to my almost zombie like attraction to the sugary cookie.

The good news is that I recognized it, tossed the Diet Coke in the trash can and only took a few bites of the cookie. Hello? It's a cookie... you don't throw cookies in the trash!

comments

17 Responses to "Confessions of a Diet Coke Addict"
  1. Kat @ For the Love of Chaos said...
    July 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM

    haha Who knew Diet coke was a gateway drug? However, I totally agree with you... you just don't throw away a perfectly good cookie!

    :)
    Kat @ For the Love of Chaos | www.SenileMOMentia.com

  2. Unknown said...
    July 14, 2009 at 12:46 AM

    ahhh well you had your little fun and your back on track.... Wasn't it awesome though that first sip. Mmmm.. I remember giving up caffeine for pregnancies and feedings.... Then you take your first drink and OMG is like how did I live without you!

    I have to stop thinking about this, I gave up caffeine and all its evil hoping to calm my panic attacks... So far so good. Plus I've lost like 5 lbs! Who knew I was carrying 5 lbs of soda around. Now to find out who the other culprits are...

    You can do it! Good luck sweetie {{hugs}}

  3. Sultan said...
    July 14, 2009 at 1:24 AM

    Many of the sugar substitutes activate the sugar pathways and reward systems of our brain even though their is no actual sugar. I suspect this is in part the reason you are finding it a gateway to other sugary foods.

  4. Jennifer said...
    July 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM

    Well, it happens to the best of us!! Dustin struggles with his Diet Coke addiction everyday. I try and convince him just to drink water but he says he NEEDS it.

  5. Randi Troxell said...
    July 14, 2009 at 7:33 AM

    i think you are doing an awesome job of will power... though i'm kinda with your twitter buddy... u only live once and it IS only diet coke... not like its alcohol, or cigarettes, or drugs... hehe! maybe i should delete this post... i think i might be killing your willpower!!!

  6. Sandra Winn said...
    July 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM

    Hehe, Fiona, I wouldn't have thrown out the cookie either.

    You're right though, diet sodas do trigger sweet cravings and it's something a lot of people refuse to recognize. Not to mention that the adverse effects all of those nasty chemicals have on the body.

    Your blog buddy, though you made him sound very sexy, has the wrong attitude, IMHO. While some people can eat whatever they want their whole lives and never suffer for it, most are not that fortunate. It's better to be on the road towards healthier eating now so that we don't pay for it later.

    BTW, thanks for bringing a smile to my face today--I love your sense of humor!

    Hugs ~ Sandy

  7. Anonymous said...
    July 14, 2009 at 8:34 AM

    Hey, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Pretty sure there's other steps in there. I think you're supposed to avoid everyone who might influence you to drink diet coke. I just slammed a regular pepsi. See you at the meeting ;)

  8. septembermom said...
    July 14, 2009 at 11:24 AM

    So glad that you saved the cookie:)

  9. Heatherlyn said...
    July 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM

    Diet drinks mess with the normal appetite and sometimes make cravings for other things worse.

    A diet coke every now and then won't hurt.

    Everything in moderation. :) Good luck figuring out how to balance enjoying your life with the things you love with being healthy too!!

  10. AiringMyLaundry said...
    July 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM

    Oh gosh, there is no way I could throw out a cookie. No way.

    I know I'm a little addicted to my diet drinks but I can't help it. I have two active children who I think are part wolf or something so I need the energy.

  11. Anonymous said...
    July 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

    No way I could just toss out a cookie, I have an addiction to Mt Dew that needs to go!! Oh yeah and a sweet tooth too ;-)

    Great post, loved reading it and good luck hopping back on the no diet coke wagon :-)

    Brandy

  12. Dora said...
    July 14, 2009 at 6:58 PM

    I suppose it is an empty can? Else, it might pour on its head... ;p

  13. Maria @BOREDmommy said...
    July 15, 2009 at 12:34 AM

    Diet Coke is definitely something I'm finding it hard to give up as well. And even though I read that there is formaldehyde in Diet Coke, I still find it difficult. I also find that when I'm drinking it, I need something with sugar in it to eat at the same time. I wish I had never tried the stuff.

  14. Rebecca Anne said...
    July 15, 2009 at 8:28 AM

    Umm, well....
    You know, I offered on several occasions to take one for the team and drink a diet coke for you. So now I'll just be supportive. You fell off that wagon, for a bit, ate a cookie and realized you were going down a dark and evil path. You fessed up publicly. I'd say you will be just fine. I have faith!!!

  15. Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...
    July 15, 2009 at 12:58 PM

    Oh I know just how hard it is. Diet Rite is my addiction for years and years. It used to be Tab until you couldn't find it anymore. I know it is't good for me, but I justify drinking it as it has no caffeine or sodium. Good luck in giving your Diet Coke up for good.

    ris

  16. Childhood said...
    July 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM

    Coke Whore!

  17. La'Tonya Richardson said...
    July 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM

    I am a Coke addict. My husband has pestered me for years to stop drinking Coke. I haven't, and I want to tell him very loudly, "Hell No, and leave me alone!" But that wouldn't be nice! I looooove Coke, and you're right it has a way of making you want cookies. My cookie obsession is Chessmen. OMG, I can eat a whole bag at one time, and not give my kids any!

    I learned of your site, from Blog Roller.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates