Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Meaning of Easter ~ Cadbury Creme Eggs



It is that time of year when the sugary sugarness brings back memories of my childhood.  Being a first generation child of Scotish immigrants, I had the inside scoop on British chocolates.  No time of year was better than Easter, though.  My parents had clearly been hooked early on to the Cadbury Creme Egg because my mother had them in the house from the time they appeared in stores until the time they stopped being there.  She would hide them at the back of the vegetable drawer... not exactly the best hiding place, Mom!

Every night after dinner, or "tea" as Mum would say,  we'd each unwrap our egg and bite into our treats with great excitement.

My Dad would take one bite and then shove the rest in his mouth.  My mother would take a bite and then slowly lick out the creamy inside and then she'd savor the chocolate shell, it was kind of annoying, actually.  Despite this, I ultimately stole her tequique and enjoy my Cadbury Creme Egg exactly that way today!  My brother would take two tiny bites and be done, having had enough of the sugar.  You guessed it, he was the crazy child.  What kid doesn't at least save the rest for later?  Love ya, Stew!

Several years ago I picked up an Egg in the store and it felt... oddly.... smaller, I rolled it in my hand and with shocking realization, discovered that the Egg had shrunk!  How do you mess with something so perfect?  

It turns out that the british version of the Cadbury Creme Egg hasn't shrunk at all.  The American Egg, licensed and produced by Hershey, has shrunk!  Well, no wonder we are a country of fatties!  Now I have to eat TWO eggs to get the satisfaction of one.

Nice, thanks alot Hersey's - this ass is for you.


comments

17 Responses to "The Meaning of Easter ~ Cadbury Creme Eggs"
  1. Kathy B! said...
    April 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM

    How is it that portion sizes keep getting smaller and yet my butt/waist/you name it gets bigger?! And how is it that the PRICE gets bigger as the portion gets smaller?!

    Check out the Chick Chat going on at my blog today! can totally see you participating in one of the future episodes!

  2. zelzee said...
    April 9, 2009 at 5:08 AM

    I knew spring was right around the corner when the Reese's Peanut Butter Egg started appearing on shelves!

    It, too, has shrunk in size........as I continue to grow...

  3. Hit 40 said...
    April 9, 2009 at 5:31 AM

    I think Campbells soup bought Godiva :-( This was about a year ago. The company definitely changed the formula and added more wax. It is not the same quality as before. AUGH!!!

  4. La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...
    April 9, 2009 at 5:46 AM

    Cadbury Creme Eggs rock! Did you know you can get them year-round in England? But not at all in France...sigh.

    La Mom
    An American Mom in Paris

  5. Margo said...
    April 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM

    the shame! I know exactly what you mean about the perfect size... why would they mess with that? I love those things - haven't had one in years. Must have some by end of day.

  6. Dee said...
    April 9, 2009 at 7:06 AM

    nice tribute to the cadbury! tee hee

  7. Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...
    April 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM

    Cadbury creme eggs are my favorite Easter candy too!

  8. Shady Lady said...
    April 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM

    They're smaller? That's just SO WRONG!

  9. Heidi said...
    April 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM

    For about 18 months, my parents lived in England just down the road from the Cadbury factory. When I went to visit them I was delighted by the huge variety of Cadbury products--esp the chocolate pudding! Yum! (stale cadbury eggs are no fun--the filling gets solid--yuck!)

  10. Ace said...
    April 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

    I think I must be your long lost sister. Those are to die for!

  11. LadyStyx said...
    April 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM

    MMM. I love the fudge filled ones. Their not as sweet as the original ones. I like to eat half the chocolate , lick out the center and then the rest of the chocolate. I'd noticed they'd gotten smaller... wasnt happy about it either.

  12. septembermom said...
    April 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM

    Why did they have to change the size? Anything chocolate should be protected from size changes. We get accustomed to our chocolate fixes. Shrink granola bars instead!

  13. Together We Save said...
    April 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM

    Although they keep shrinking sizes prices don't seem to shrink.

  14. Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...
    April 10, 2009 at 8:17 AM

    This really made me laugh. We never had Cadbury eggs growing up, but a British friend of mine took pity on me at one point and sent some over since I had no idea what he was talking about. OH MY GOODNESS. INSTANT CONVERT.

    Now I see them in the stores all the time and it takes willpower to leave those suckers on the shelves lol.

  15. Nadia said...
    April 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

    You know what? I have never once tried a Cadbury Creme egg. I'll have to take the plunge one of these days and see what all the fuss is about.

  16. Jenni said...
    April 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM

    Are they smalled now? I didn't even notice! Boooooo!

  17. princessparkle said...
    April 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM

    That is tragic! Never again will I experience the true savory taste of a full chocolate egg! Now all we have is these under-devloped left-the-chocolate-hen-too-early eggs! What has happend to the world?

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates