Sunday, March 8, 2009

Play Dough ~ Recipe For Hours of Fun


Cabin fever setting in?  

Kids bouncing off the walls?  

Never fear, The Crafty Blonde is here! (Ok, I admit it, this came from our kindergarten teacher Ms. C)

This is a great recipe for play dough that remains soft and pliable for months if kept in a tightly closed plastic container or ziplock bag. It does not need to be refridgerated and is easily washed out of clothing. Best of all, it uses ingredients that we all have in our pantry! 

So, gather your boisterous children and have them help you. It can be a learning experience as well as a pleasant family project. Encourage your children to smell, touch and in some cases, taste the ingredients.

Play Dough Recipe

1 cup of flour
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
1/3 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of oil
food coloring 
*(For scented play dough, you can add 1 package of Kool Aid without sugar instead of food coloring)

Mix all ingredients and cook over medium heat for five minutes or until play dough begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth, Remove from heat, Cool slightly and knead.



It may be fun to sing this song while you are making play dough with your child/children.  It is sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques".

Making play dough,
making play dough,
In the bowl.  In the bowl.
Watch ... add some flour, (insert child's name)
Watch .... add some flour,
There he/she goes!

Making play dough,
Making play dough,
In the bowl. In the bowl.
Now we add the color,
Now we add the color,
It is ___, It is ___. (insert color word)

Encourage everyone to try creating their own verses!

Does your family have a favorite craft or recipe?  What do you do when the weather keeps you inside?



comments

9 Responses to "Play Dough ~ Recipe For Hours of Fun"
  1. Shady Lady said...
    March 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM

    In December we were hit with snow storm after snow storm. We had to find lots to keep us entertained. We did pretty well for a while. When things were getting tense we baked cookies. When things were getting really old I pulled out a game I had put away for a gift. It was just what we needed. A new game provides hours of fun!

  2. Aliceson said...
    March 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM

    I have made this play dough (or a recipe similar)for my kids and they love it! Which reminds me, I think we're about due for a fresh batch.

    And our favorite inside project... painting. I have a big vinyl tablecloth I throw over the table then let the kids use paints and paint whatever they wish. Sometimes they use a canvas, or wood scraps, or empty boxes, etc. Then of course display their work or even better, give it away as gifts to the grandparents.

  3. rachel... said...
    March 9, 2009 at 5:57 AM

    I'm wondering what the Cream of Tartar does? I don't have that in my pantry, can I still make it without or what is a good substitute?

  4. Banteringblonde said...
    March 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM

    Cream of Tartar is a baking stabilizer so it probably gives it the play dough texture. I know that it is acidic so if you add it to baking soda you can make baking powder. I'm not sure what you could substitute for it though... anyone?

  5. Ute said...
    March 9, 2009 at 8:17 AM

    I like play dough. I'm no good at making things, but I still like play dough... especially when I can eat it afterwards. (Ick, no, that's just gross, isn't it?)
    When we have to stay inside, we usually play hide and go seek, or watch TV, or read a long book together or something like that. Sometimes I bring out my craft box. But not too often. I'm not exactly a crafty person.

  6. Anonymous said...
    March 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

    My dd loved to make playdough. We'd do it every few months up until she hit middle school. Ironically, it's my ds who likes to invent recipes.

  7. Heidi said...
    March 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM

    I've done this with my kids--it's fun. Much better than the playdoh you get at the store which hardens in your carpet and stays forev!

  8. La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...
    March 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

    Love it! My French Fries will definitely get a kick out of singing it to Frère Jacques (or maybe it will just confuse 'em.)

  9. Jenni said...
    March 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM

    My kids still love playdough! Great recipe!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates